"No trace" camping

Joe S.

"No trace" camping was taught to me back when I was a Boy Scout (MANY moons ago.) You can certainly tell when someone has NOT been taught this, can't you?

Refrigerator

Yes you can and that's what motivates me to set an example and usually say..... hey let me help you pick this trash up so we can leave like it was before we got here. Then say Thanks.....

Amelie

Lack of respect for "no trace" camping is being tackled in Scotland with a targetted campaign of posters and radio pieces aimed at people for whom the camping is secondary to their main activity - one huge group being festival attendees. Some of us are volunteering to attend festivals this year and to give awareness raising talks.

We might also force ourselves to enjoy the music - I will be attending "T in the Park" in July .....

John13np

I have seen way too many campers not using the LNT ethics while camping. It's ridiculous what some people will do at their campsites. Such as nailing traps in the trees to stay dry. Burning bottles and cans in the campfire. Removing all debris around the campsite before setting up.

Why even camp of you're going to go through all that trouble you know?

Joe S.

I feel much better now, knowing that there ARE people out there who know what it's about and actively promote it. Hats off to you!

John13np

I am in the process of writing a grant to LNT to try and bring LNT to this forest. I am on the Sierra Vista Ranger District of the Coronado National Forest. I started working here about 4 months ago and there's not too much trash around here, but I hope to stop it before it begins. I have been actively promoting LNT ethics for the last 3 years now since I started working for the Forest Service.

I am happy to see that people respect it and I have noticed a change in just the last few years.

Betty

Some people are negative about campers and travel trailers as opposed to tent camping. I have done both, and one plus for travel trailers is that they are self-contained.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I think I've camped out of just about every kind of shelter and also sans shelter and I never leave a trace. When I was a boy, my uncle had a camp trailer with all the comforts. My Dad, my Uncle and I camped in it for a week. Before we left (self contained or not) we policed the area and made certain nothing was left behind. We even dug out the ashes from our campfire, scattered them and raked the spot where the fire was. The only thing we left behind were tire tracks and the first rain took care of those. This is how I was taught to camp and it never left me.

Refrigerator

As long as you are out there camping in a tent or under the stars or in a camper it is camping as long as you think it is and thats what matters. I have met some good people who use campers and have many good friends who I backpack with too. Trash will be where humans are no matter how they camp.

woodsman

Luckily most of the people who don't give a hoot about there surrounding are not the kind of people who venture into the woods. The sad part is tho that there are people who have been camping for years that leave a trail of trash wherever they go.

Bambi

Yes, sadly there are many folks out there who ascribe to the "Leave WAY More Than A Trace" camping. I guess some people feel compelled to make their mark wherever they go.