NorthEast!

Hikebike

Have you ever been to the Northeast? Where is your favorite place to hike? I live in the Northeast and I’m looking for new areas. I want to try hiking the Adirondack Mountains in the winter time. I think that would be super fun. Have you ever tried it?

Pathfinder1

I usually don't trek very far,
when all around me black bears are.

Hi...

I never toured the ADKs either...not yet, anyway. If you'd like some interesting info about touring there by canoe in the late 1880s/early 1900s, try googling Nessmuk.

Part of the AT runs through NY and other parts of the NE.

And, the Catskills...where I reside..also offer some good traipsing ground. Lots of wildlife, too.

Igor, did you hide the basketball again?

Refrigerator

Have you ever been to the Northeast? Where is your favorite place to hike? I live in the Northeast and I’m looking for new areas. I want to try hiking the Adirondack Mountains in the winter time. I think that would be super fun. Have you ever tried it?
Catskills, Presidentials, Whites.......many excellent hiking areas.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I used to like to hike around Boston and stop in at a few places where I could swill beer and eat cherrystone clams and oysters on the half shell.

carmen

I heard that Diamond Notch Falls, N.Y. is a good place to hit up if you are in the area, but that is a long drive for me. If I were on a longer vacation it would be okay, but a weekend trip is out of the question.

EddieK47

Old Yankee
If you venture to Vt. try the NorthEast kingdom around Maidstone Lake.There are miles of old logging roads,ponds,streams and wetlands.It is now taken over by fish and game and a nature conserve.it's been 10+ yrs since logging so it should be coming back good now.Bring lots of bug spray.

scarlett

I used to live up in the Adirondacks, be prepared for snow and lots of it if you are looking to hike it during the winter. Some of the most beautiful scenery in the NorthEast in my humble opinion. Definitely plan a hike around Whiteface, and a visit to Lake Placid is a must.

I also have to agree with everyone else here and their suggestions. I will add that part of the AT runs through New Jersey and there are some nice spots to hike there as well.

briansnat

Platnium Member
The Catskills are great for hiking. The Adirondacks too, though oddly enough the nicer places to hike in the Adirondacks tend to be far more crowded than some of the better hiking spots in the Catskills.

As Scarlett mentioned, New Jersey has some very good hiking areas. People from out of state and even many NJ residents would be surprised by some of the hiking available in NJ.

ejdixon

Went up to the Adirondack Mountains once with my friends a few summers ago. Really enjoyed it, even if it was just a short hike.