Not A Smart Person

hummingbird

I just saw a picture of a friend of a friend on Facebook who killed a large feral cat and claimed it was a wild cat. Well, he got the wild right but the taxidermist informed him of his mistake when he took it to him. How stupid and sad that is. I wonder what's he's going to do if he ever HAS to go hunting for his family and mistakes a beaver for a squirrel?

Gabbie

I'm not sure just what you are suppose to do with idiot's like that! I'm pretty sure you can tell a 'feral' cat from a 'wild' cat. I think he was just looking for something to shoot. People like that shouldn't have guns!

southerngal

From a distance it's entirely possible that it looked like a wild cat. You would think he could have told the difference before he got to the taxidermist, but hey, it takes all kinds.

jason

fear no beer
Well, you have to start somewhere. I would start by maybe giving him some books, or showing him pictures and trying to show him differences. I know I'm bad when it comes to identifying trees.

LindaLou

I just wonder 'why' he even thought he had to shoot and kill a wild cat? Was it attacking him or something? Sounds like someone who shouldn't have a gun to me if he doesn't know what he's shooting or is just shooting things for the 'kill'.

limbs

It depends on what type of cat it was. I don't know if you have ever seen a yellow Main Coon, but they very much tend to look like a wild cat. The fur is their most different feature.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Cat hide makes great mittens. Fur on the inside will keep your hands warm in extreme cold.

outdoorchick

I hate to tell you, for all those that want to take this guys guns away that wild cats can become overpopulated just like other animals. Do you want cougars or bobcats wandering into your backyards where you kids play? I am in Georgia and we are starting to have a real problem with both of these species. If the guy thought he was helping to eradicate the problem more power to him.

Michelle

Was the picture on Facebook one of him proudly holding up his 'game'? There should be an IQ test before people get guns or at least a written quiz like you have to take for a driver's license.

outwest

I think when you are a hunter and you do not know what you are hunting then you are a dangerous person with some type of weapon. I would almost say an idiot but I think that might actually offend some idiots.

Greatoutdoors

What would be the difference if he mistakes a beaver for a squirrel? He's still providing food for his family isn't he? That would be one heck of a big squirrel though...I'm really suprised to see all these anti-gun comments in the HUNTING section. As someone else said from a distance it may very well have looked like a wild cat which can be extremely dangerous. I fail to see what all the hoopla is about.

Last edited:

Grandpa

I'm with great outdoors here. Feral cats and dogs are a huge problem and need to be controlled. If you want to attack someone, then attack the person who abandoned these animals to run wild, not the person who killed them. It is easy enough to misidentify a cat for a cat, almost as easy as the hindsight that condemns him for it.

Scotty

That is certainly true, Grandpa. We've had to take out some feral cats on our property since they multiply quite rapidly. They are nice to have around to a certain extent to get rid of mice and rats, but when they start decimating the local squirrel and rabbit population, feral cat starts to become my targets.

Gwen

I wouldn't call him an idiot though he was really ignorant about wild cats. Maybe it was annoying him or was too aggressive so he mistook it for a wild cat.

dhoyle

He may have had a little problem with the ID but a dead feral cat is a good feral cat, they are hell on ground nesting game birds