One hiker lost? No. Five hikers lost? No.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

One hiker lost? No. Five hikers lost? No. Ten hikers lost? No. Fourteen hikers lost? YES...!!

According to the Middletown Times-Herald Record today..."Emergency responders helped guide FOURTEEN hikers off Sam's Point Preserve in Cragsmoore, NY".

Ulster County Sheriff said that the hikers contacted police after realizing they were going to get "stranded in the dark".

Park rangers and state police guided the hikers off the ridge around midnight, according to reports.

Nobody was injured.

Is there anything (potentially) wrong with this picture...?? :tinysmile_hmm_t2:

Grandpa

Hi...

Is there anything (potentially) wrong with this picture...?? :tinysmile_hmm_t2:
I bet we pick at this one for three pages.:tinysmile_twink_t2: Sounds like either the bota bags were full when they started or there was prolific flora along the way.:tinysmile_hmm_t:

Fourteen unprepared hikers sounds more like a fraternity party than a day hike. Lost? or just afraid of the dark without the skills to hold up for the night?

campclose

Sure sounds like a party to me too. Why would fourteen people be unprepared and hiking near dark? It sounds like they went to party, had fun and then got lost. Glad they got out without being hurt though.

Pathfinder1

I bet we pick at this one for three pages.:tinysmile_twink_t2: Sounds like either the bota bags were full when they started or there was prolific flora along the way.:tinysmile_hmm_t:

Fourteen unprepared hikers sounds more like a fraternity party than a day hike. Lost? or just afraid of the dark without the skills to hold up for the night?

Hi...

You just might have hit the nail right on the head with that one...!!

ppine

Forester
Fourteen sheep in search of a Border Collie. Every group of drunks needs a leader to show them the way.

Pathfinder1

Without the actual story it's all just a bunch of guessing. Posts like this really need a link to the story.

Hi...

What you say is probably true.

My post was written word-for-word, though, according to the article I read. Very little...if any...other info was provided.

More MIGHT be gotten from the AP or the Recordonline.com.

Unfortunately, I have never learned how to post a link. My lifelong ADD (which today is now included in with ADHD) simply doesn't allow such functions...no matter how 'simple' they may be to others.

Sorry.

wvbreamfisherman

Hi...

What you say is probably true.

My post was written word-for-word, though, according to the article I read. Very little...if any...other info was provided.

More MIGHT be gotten from the AP or the Recordonline.com.

Unfortunately, I have never learned how to post a link. My lifelong ADD (which today is now included in with ADHD) simply doesn't allow such functions...no matter how 'simple' they may be to others.

Sorry.
Link to the original story: 14 Sam’s Point hikers lost after dark, call for help | recordonline.com

Also, a Bing search does not turn up any additional references.... just sayin'.

Theo

eyebp's mentor
I'm inclined to believe they were having a DuPont moment.

For those who are scrathing their heads over the DuPont phrase, once upon a time, DuPont's corporate motto was 'Better living through chemistry'.:hippie: Peace out!:peace:

Hikenhunter

I'm inclined to believe they were having a DuPont moment.

For those who are scrathing their heads over the DuPont phrase, once upon a time, DuPont's corporate motto was 'Better living through chemistry'.:hippie: Peace out!:peace:
LOL :wacko: LOL I remember the days when my motto was LOL Better living through LOL .....no wait, LOL what were we just talking about? LOL:hang3:

Last edited:

Gunny Webb

Outdoor Member
It may get dark on us and we're sceeeeeeered. There's just too much of that these days. I see people all the time totally unprepared hiking. My favorite hiking activity is watching a large group taking a picture by the trail sign before they start. I alway say they are taking the pic to show the ranger what the missing one looks like.

We had a guy struggling with what he thought was his heart. We made very poor time and it was less than 3 hours till dark and we were 3 miles from the trailhead. I sprinted to the trailhead and finally got a cell signal. Called the local rescure squad and led them in. They checked the guy and put him on oxygen and he came on out with little problem. I told the rescue squad leader I thought we might make it but if I came on out and they could get oxygen to the hiker I knew we could get out before dark. He said "Thanks partner, most people wait till they can't possible make it and then call us and we get out way after dark. You were much smarter than what we nomally see." I know what he's talking about as I did the volunteer fireman thing for 15 years.