other peoples mistakes

carmen

I am now spending tomorrow in the office for more than 1/2 the day because someone messed up finances and now I have to back track someones account for the past 8 months. Then if I am lucky figure out where the mess up happened and credit them, very unhappy customer but heck this is really not my job.

Mary Beth

Why can the person who messed up, not fix the mess? Look at it this way though, if you are fixing the mess, your boss probably thinks you are more intelligent and a better employee, than the rest. Maybe that will give you bonus points, come raise time!

JimBob

I know how you feel, but I'm use to it. My job is to basically correct mistakes for a large group of people at a healthcare supplies distributor. It can be annoying because when people find things wrong they won't figure it out. Instead, they know I get things done so they drop the problem off to me. It sucks to get taken advantage of, but my work ethic has me with plenty of job security.

dinosaur

troublemaker
It's not your job? Apparently it is your job. Are they telling you to do it without pay? Did they just flip a coin or throw dice to choose you for the job? Do you think your boss is picking on you? I doubt it, although it is possible. It is more than likely you were chosen due to your level of competence.

If you believe that your employer does not notice you, your skills and your efficiency; you are wrong. I know it's a drag but at least you have a job. I know people who have been looking for work for well over a year. I'm not scolding, I'm just saying every cloud has a silver lining. I'm sorry you're losing part of your weekend but it will be over quickly and unless you had something truly significant planned, you'll forget about it in a few months if not sooner.

Lamebeaver

I'm guessing Carmen won't know who's at fault until she figured out where the mistake was made. Accountants are often salaried.

oldsarge

It really frosts my ass when this happens to me! After the first few seconds of the initial bomb being dropped in my lap I realized that this is just more job security. It bites having to pick up others slack, but these days I won't complain about work. Dinosaur is right, the boss knows where to go when he wants it done right, take it as a blessing!

Malarkey

It really is hard to keep your cool when this happens. I had a few occasions where I had to clean other people' mess and I was spitting fire the entire time.