Panthertown Valley, NC

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
A few things I learned while walking in the woods. « In the life of Theosus

My first overnight trip. Great place- used the East entrance, hiked up to Little Green, and then across to Granny Burrell falls.
Set up camp, and then went night hiking up the Great Wall. Next day saw more falls in the south section of the park, then up Macs Gap to the entrance.

Carried too much crap, froze in my hammock with no underpad, and loved it all.

carmen

Even when you love that you are freezing shows you enjoyed the trip. We ended up going out one year and for some reason packed very light on the blankets, now I never mind a snuggle during a no kid trip but it was pretty cold that night.

ppine

Forester
Theo,
You have the right attitude and will learn by experience like all good outdoors people. I wonder about your "night hiking along the Great Wall." We want you to return from your trips so you can go again and tell us all about it. Realize that the margin for error in remote places is razor thin when you are alone at night and a long way from help.

Sagebrusher

Theo,
You have the right attitude and will learn by experience like all good outdoors people. I wonder about your "night hiking along the Great Wall." We want you to return from your trips so you can go again and tell us all about it. Realize that the margin for error in remote places is razor thin when you are alone at night and a long way from help.
I have been on quite a few night hikes. You just have to be careful and not too drunk... :tinysmile_twink_t2:

Sagebrusher

"Careful" and "drunk" are orthoganal anyhow. ;-)

do you mean: (and if so which definition?) lol

orthogonal [awr-thog-uh-nl]  

Mathematics .
a.
Also, orthographic. pertaining to or involving right angles or perpendiculars: an orthogonal projection.
b.
(of a system of real functions) defined so that the integral of the product of any two different functions is zero.
c.
(of a system of complex functions) defined so that the integral of the product of a function times the complex conjugate of any other function equals zero.
d.
(of two vectors) having an inner product equal to zero.
e.
(of a linear transformation) defined so that the length of a vector under the transformation equals the length of the original vector.
f.
(of a square matrix) defined so that its product with its transpose results in the identity matrix.
Crystallography . referable to a rectangular set of axes.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
Theo,
Wow - I didn't see all these responses. I guess they got lost in the fray.
I wasn't alone. There were four of us together night hiking. And the other six knew where we were going. There was enough light to see by, especially with our headlamps, and even without them. We never got close to the edge.

I want to come back, too! Im probably going back there solo this month. I'm definitely not going to night hike any where...

Last edited:

dinosaur

troublemaker
do you mean: (and if so which definition?) lol

orthogonal [awr-thog-uh-nl]  

Mathematics .
a.
Also, orthographic. pertaining to or involving right angles or perpendiculars: an orthogonal projection.
b.
(of a system of real functions) defined so that the integral of the product of any two different functions is zero.
c.
(of a system of complex functions) defined so that the integral of the product of a function times the complex conjugate of any other function equals zero.
d.
(of two vectors) having an inner product equal to zero.
e.
(of a linear transformation) defined so that the length of a vector under the transformation equals the length of the original vector.
f.
(of a square matrix) defined so that its product with its transpose results in the identity matrix.
I can answer that one: A and F.