PATTING A BEAR...

Northern Dancer

Can you believe it?
I actually got up close and managed to pat his head. He didn't grunt or puff or do anything but remained calm and serene. A magnificent creature and one that I selected as my "totem" character. So why was he so gentle and not afraid of me?
Because the taxidermist did a magnificent job of making him look real and alive.

I attended a show recently when a multitude of creatures were on display with a commentator who shared the unique qualities of several animals that are in our geographical region.

Last edited:

ppine

Forester
I had a contract in SE Alaska 40 years ago. I saw bears every day in the bush. At first it was very disconcerting and troublesome. Then I started to figure out how they think. The coastal brown bears never gave us a problem. Sometimes the black bears would follow us around.

Northern Dancer

Yep, the taxidermist did a marvelous job of capturing the spirit of this creature. The fade suggested that a pant of breath was coming from the nostrils. And with the right positioning, I was able to block out distractions.

I've had several bears come into camp. Looking back there were two occasions that I might have been in danger but was unaware of it at the time.

As I've shared with members on this site I took a bear course, learned how to use the spray correctly, and pay attention to my attention while I'm in bear country.

ppine

Forester
My dogs chase bears out of camp.
Working around bears is tricky. You must learn to avoid them.
I like bear spray but still carry firearms in bear country.