Peanut Butter

Scotty

How many of us have peanut butter in our BOB? I do and also some wasa crisp bread for power snacks if necessary. I also keep duct tape, equipment for shelter, extra clothing, a couple of quarts of water and a way to filter more and flashlights with extra batteries. I also try to keep the most current medications my family is on. I also try to trade our locator beacon either with the BOB or with my pack if we are going hiking. What have I forgotten.

Lamebeaver

I won't eat PB that you don't need to refrigerate after opening, so no.

Look at how much trans-fat is in you shelf-stable peanut butter.

Pathfinder1

I usually don't trek very far,
when all around me black bears are.

Hi...

Yes, peanut butter is an excellent item to carry in your BOB. Not only for the nourishment (with crackers, I hope) it can provide, but it also makes very good bait for your deadfalls...in case you're stranded afield for more days than you may have planned for...and have to survive on other food sources...!!

Uh oh...is that a stalker I see outside my window? Should I invite her in?

oldsarge

Mix it with some bug juice (high % Deet), then you can start a fire with it, depending on how much you make, you can even cook with it.

CFlyer

I love peanut butter. I never tried mixing this with bug juice so I'm going to try it. What is the ratio of the peanut butter with the juice?

oldsarge

I love peanut butter. I never tried mixing this with bug juice so I'm going to try it. What is the ratio of the peanut butter with the juice?
Never really measured it out. Back in the Army days we would just squirt some in, mix it up and then heat our coffee or rations with it. It's also good if you have tinder that's hard to get started since it burns a while. You'll just have to experiment with what you have. The issue bug juice we had back in the day was extreamly flamable.

OldSole

That doesn't sound good. I hope no one accidentally sat themselves on fire while they were using the bug juice. I would prefer to set the bugs on fire instead of myself. As to peanut butter, I love it! I like sunflower seed butter even better. Yum!

carmen

I am not a huge PB fan either but if they made it out of cashews I would be all over it. For some reason PB sits bad with me but give me a can of cashews and I could demolish the can in an hour.

oldsarge

I often wondered why they don't make peanut butter out of different nuts. Then I was told that they do. You can get it Cashew, Walnut, Pecan, almond...check it out on line, there's' recipes for cookies and stuff using the different nuts.

catspa

Long ago, when I bought my (now) ex-wife a Vitamix, she made nut butter for us out of almonds and cashews. Quite tasty. We were told it'd get moldy, but it never lasted long enough to find out.

Parker

Michael

Peanut butter is really calorie dense. It's got sugar, protein, and fat. So, while it's lacking in nutritional balance, it's really not bad as an emergency food.

Even a smallish jar of the stuff has enough calories to keep you going for a day, or barely fed for two. Larger jars have even more. It wouldn't be a shiny happy food to eat exclusively, and you wouldn't feel terribly satisfied, but you'd be fed.

Also, as mentioned above, it's great bait for dead falls. You barely even need to use any to attract a wee little rodent into your trap; less can actually be more, because then the little dudes need to really work on the trigger, rather than possibly becoming satisfied with a glob hanging off.

Tubby

I love nut butters. I have tried the walnut butter and hazelnut butter and I love them. As too peanut butter, I eat it all of the time. It's great when you're having a low blood sugar episode. I've eaten enough peanut butter for that reason alone that I could fill a bathtub with it.