People afraid of water

sailorman

How can you help someone learn to enjoy water if they are afraid to swim in water (where they can't see the bottom). What if their reason is because of movies like Jaws?

ponderosa

I hate being in water that I can't see through. I have no idea why. I understand that it isn't rational. It's just really creepy and makes me extremely uncomfortable. I can't imagine that I'll ever enjoy playing in deep murky water.

GROUNDpounder

Rubbing stix together
I hate being in water that I can't see through. I have no idea why. I understand that it isn't rational. It's just really creepy and makes me extremely uncomfortable. I can't imagine that I'll ever enjoy playing in deep murky water.
I second this, though I do enjoy swimming in just about any water, water that I cannot see through freaks me out. I don't like things touching me in the water either so I tend to stay away from grassy swimming areas.

topwaterking

I swim just about everywhere but the key is being smart about where u swim ask local neighboors and friends about any swimming area u plan on entering. Most of the time people can tell u about local swimming area do's and donts. Just remeber always respect the water anywhere u go!!

wvbreamfisherman

I prefer not to swim in murky water either, but it really doesn't bother me. I'm pretty careful to wear shoes (NOT sandals) when I'm swimming in a river or lake. You never know what you might step on (old cars, broken glass, etc.)

Not real sure what you can do to help some one get over a "phobia" with the water. Just concentrate on having a good time in clear and/or shallow water and maybe build up their confidence?

twilight

My wife is very afraid of the water. She will stand in clear water up to about her waist. If it is higher than that she freaks out. There are people who work on phobias of all types but the person has to be willing.

wvbreamfisherman

I taught swimming lessons for a while, and I still remember this one little boy. He was about 5 years old, and he didn't mind wading out to his neck, but he could NOT put his face in the water.

We could get him to touch his nose to the water, and them he'd freeze up- and shake like a leaf in a high wind. He didn't even mind being splashed in his face as long as it wasn't hard, but he could not get his face underwater.

He finally did learn to paddle around a bit, but he always had to have his face high. this was close to 40 years ago. I still wonder if he ever overcame his phobia.

SpencerT

I don't know if there is anything you can do for people that don't want to go out over their head. They enjoy being in the shallows. The best thing you can do for someone that is afraid of those movies, is not to mess around and yell shark. I know because I've done it to someone.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I think this one is called Nebulaphobia. Strictly defined it is the fear of fog but applies to the medium of water.

ChadTower

OTOH, I don't like pools very much. I grew up in/on/around the ocean and large lakes. Close that water in, make it unnatural like a pool, and put cement around it and I am very uncomfortable. Not irrationally afraid or anything but I just don't like swimming in pools very much. Given the choice to train swimming in a pool or a lake I'll choose the lake every time until the temp reaches unsafe levels.