Phone Calls

JeepThrills

Do you allow people to talk on their cell phones when you are camping? We usually check in once a day (elderly parents) and make sure everything is okay, but other than that the phones are in the backpacks.

Camoguy

Nope. We usually do as you do and check in once a day but we don't like to have the phones with us anyway but it's a necessary part of taking care of a family. I hate to even do that but you have to be responsible.

hummingbird

I HATE taking my cell phone with me, but it is a fact of life that sometimes you need to be reached. With elderly parents and my being an only child, I haven't been able to go on an extended hike for a while. It's not going to happen for quite a while either and honestly, I'm OK with that given the alternative. But I so enjoy doing the day stuff.

Grandpa

I never carry mine in the field. Most places there isn't any reception anyway. I have to rely on spot if I need to holler help and trust Grandma to take care of things in my absence.

Bojib

I don't have a personal cell phone, just a phone provided by work. So, I usually don't take it with me. If I'm on my own time, it's not on anyway, that way I can avoid work related calls when I'm not at work.

If someone has one and they want to make a call I don't really care. It doesn't effect my enjoyment of the outdoors. If they want to sit with their nose to a screen all day, it's their loss.

In general though, I don't think there are many serious outdoors people that have a trouble with staying on the phone the whole time their out. Probably too, if I invite them and that's all they do, that's going to be the only time I invite them. Obviously enjoying the outdoors isn't their thing.

bsmit212

I check in once a day but other than that it is off in my pack. If someone else wants to be on their's all night, that is their business and unless they are bugging me with loud talking or game nosies or someing rude like that I am not going to say anything. And even then just ask for them to keep the nosie level down.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I'm not going to camp with people that want to micromanage my enjoyment of the outdoors, however there usually isn't any phone reception where I wander.
Completely agree! If I was going on a trip and they said "no phones allowed" I would just not go with those people. However, that being said, mine is off (to save the battery) until night, when I turn it on and check in via text message if there is a signal. Then I turn it off again. You can stretch a smartphone battery for days using it like that.

shaun

No, I carry my phone for emergency situations only. Camping is my break from work and people, I spend a lot of time on the phone through work. I turn my phone off when out camping and only use it when it is absolutely necessary.

ppine

Forester
No there is no reception. Sometimes there will be one in a party in case of emergencies and we have to go hunt for reception to call in a helicopter or SAR. To anyone that uses a cellphone while camping- you are addicted and need help.

Esperahol

I don't have a right to dictate to someone what they can and can't do, but I generally am not going to use my phone or camp with a phone addict. It is one thing to have an emergency line and another to get eaten by a bear while texting. Or fall into a hole/stream/ The Strid/ a pit of jagged rocks because you couldn't pay attention.

TroyS

Personally, I don't use my phone as much as possible whenever I go camping. I do call in once in a while whenever I go camping with the boys, just so that my wife will get some peace of mind. But as far as other people that are with me camping, I see it as their own business so I can't really dictate to them.

Marshmallow

We're heading out later today, and this thread is reminding me to get my cell phone out and going. That tells you how much I use it. We use it to keep up with family, and that's about it.

Eaglescout 49

An elderly parent and my own health issues make a cell phone a must. Otherwise I have no use for it. I turn it on vibrate only so not to disturb anyone, although my ring tone is a quacking duck, appropriate for some of the place we camp.

Yab9

I carry my cellphone but hope Ill never have to use it. I have it for emergencies because you never know what can happen but up until now I never had to use it.

3ofusnow

I camp with adults and I think they are quite capable of deciding for themselves if they would like to make a call. I know I personally wouldn't want to camp with a dictator, however, if they did stay on the phone the whole time they wouldn't be invited again.

To anyone that uses a cellphone while camping- you are addicted and need help.
That is a rather rude blanket statement don't you think? Some of us have small children or elderly parents that need to be checked in on. Just because someone makes a five minute call to check in on their kids or a loved one does not make them an addict.