Pie iron problems

campclose

Can pie irons just wear out? We've had ours for about 5 years. It seems now with everything we try to make in them, they stick and then burn. I spray the insides of both sides and the bread still sticks. Could they just be worn out?

ppine

Forester
Iron does not wear out, but it can lose its patina. Soak them in oil olive for a day or two and use less heat. Pie irons seem like a good idea that I must try sometime.

Hikenhunter

If you have the pie irons that have a black coating inside the coating can wear with use. If you have the uncoated kind you might be heating the iron up too fast. If you heat steel or aluminum too fast it might be why the bread is sticking and burning.

campclose

We have 2 kinds (black and steel) - we use the black ones the most. I will try soaking them in olive oil to see if it helps. We use them all the time. We toss them in the coals so I don't think the temp is too hot.

Backroad Joe

First I'll assume they are iron. The only kind to have! Iron will not wear out. I have some iron cookwear about 100 years old and it is the best. You need to "season" your iron at least once before initial use. A good coating all over with oil and put it in your oven at home. 250-300 degrees for at least 30 minutes (beware the smoke alarm). Let it cool in the oven. You can repeat the process again if you want.

Putting in the coals after cooking is one way of cleaning or burning off any food.... but you have to re-oil it after, while it is still warm. I prefer not to burn off food but scrap it clean, then apply oil. You want the oil to fill the pores in the iron. Repeated burning clears them out.

I'm using the term "oil" loosely. Vegetable oil is OK, olive oil is good. Vegetable shortening is better, but all old-time iron users will tell you that animal fat is the best. Lard, bacon grease, sausage drippings, butter, whatever.

Keep them well seasoned and don't ever use the spray stuff on your iron cookware. Happy camping!