Pistol for little old woman

Marshmallow

My mother-in-law is in her early 80s. She has never shot a gun, but she's determined to get her hands on a pistol at any cost. Is there an age requirement on a community college or self-defense course that teaches little old ladies how to shoot a pistol? She has all her mental faculties, but she has grown uneasy living alone and is determined to keep doing so.

Pathfinder1

My mother-in-law is in her early 80s. She has never shot a gun, but she's determined to get her hands on a pistol at any cost. Is there an age requirement on a community college or self-defense course that teaches little old ladies how to shoot a pistol? She has all her mental faculties, but she has grown uneasy living alone and is determined to keep doing so.

Hi...

Don't know the gun purchasing or training requirements in your State, but many states have such courses available. Police agencys and/or Game Protectors in your area might be able to enlighten you.

There also may be some pistol ranges in your area.

I don't blame her for wanting some protection.

carmen

I have been reading that site for a while now and always enjoy the blog posts they made, esp. the one about Valentines Day & the Starbucks protest. We are in the process of getting our own gun for the house as my spouse tends to work sporadic hours and he does not want his family here (even with an alarm system) alone and unprotected.

catspa

If she lives in my county, no there is no age limit. I have introduced a number of widow ladies to self-defense/home defense with handguns, and find them quite capable with a pistol and ammunition combo they can control. I would suggest she try several different handguns before buying, and select one that best fits her hands.

I provide about half a dozen, but the favorite seems to be a J-frame .38 with 3" barrel. I have collected several sets of grips for it, so as to fit a wide range of hands, and the .38 special ammo is available in a wide range of weights and charges from mild to wild. Some of my widow ladies also favor laser grips for accuracy in low light conditions.

Parker

Greatoutdoors

Marshmallow there may be some ranges in your area that teach classes (many also offer one on one training with an NRA certified instructor), and also have a wide range of handguns and pistols that she can try to see what works for her.

JeepThrills

If she is determined to have a gun, she will need to practice with it and become comfortable in using it.

You can usually find an instructor at a gun range that will give private lessons. They normally have fliers or business cards near the counter where you pay for your range time.

CozInCowtown

As a part owner of a gunshop and part time gunsmith I would like to recommend a double action revolver in 38 Special from either S&W, Colt Taurus or Rossi.
***STAY AWAY FROM A SEMI-AUTOMATIC PISTOL FOR HER!!!***
I say this to promote the K.I.S.S. principle for an unexperianced shooter in an emergency situation should it ever arise.
Double action revolver: pull the trigger and it will go bang!! If it doesn't, pull the trigger again!!
Can't say that for a semi-auto pistol.....just saying.
For training I would start with a Hunters Safety Education offered by your state AND some one-on-one training with either a NRA certified instructor or at least a experianced shooter who will work with her one-on-one.