Pockets vs rucksack

EyeOfThePark

Alright, you experienced hikers out there, I wanna know... Do you keep anything in your pockets (and risk dropping them if your pockets don't have zippers) or is everything securely zipped up in your rucksack? Or do you use extra add-on pockets to increase the carrying capacity on the outside of your rucksack?

Grandpa

I always wear zip-off pants that have lots of pockets so; pocket=mini flashlight, lighter, knife, energy bar, camera. These are always with me. I prefer a water bottle on belt rather than bladder in pack but I am in the minority on that. (too many times, I take pack off and wander over to the edge to have a look-see.) Water stays with me at all times. The rest of the essentials can go in the pack.
I tie nothing on the outside of my pack except a mesh bag for wet stuff. I don't like it swinging, and even when it's secure, there is always a chance to lose it.

Michael

I keep some stuff in my pockets. Generally it's the stuff that's always there, such as a pocket knife, lighter, etc. If it's a short hike, a water bottle will go into a cargo pocket so that I can avoid carrying a pack.

Otherwise, stuff goes in the backpack. I have a Camelbak MULE that's the perfect size for a day hike.

oldsarge

GPS around my neck or mounted on my hiking staff, compass may be around my neck or lanyard to my shirt & Map in a shirt pocket, sheath knife with survival kit on my belt. Everything else is secured in my pack. I don't like having stuff tied to the outside of my pack either, rather keep it all tucked away inside. Pack has a bladder plus two small stainless steel bottles with water.

Last edited:

Footprints

If I have zipper pockets then I keep stuff in there. I don't keep anything in open pockets because I have lost things before. I agree about not having anything hanging either. So either on my person or in my pack.

freedommachine

I have found to much stuff in your cargo pockets can rub your legs sore if you are not used to it. But I keep most things in my camelbak but I always wear pants or shorts with cargo pocket for the camera and dog leashes, for when the dogs are off leash. And maybe some mints or cough drops in my pockets to.
Caving I prefer more in my cargo pockets becuase even a thin camelbak can be to big to fit into places,I usally wind up pulling my camelbak along side me.When stuffed into a little tiny lava tube I can only access my side pockets so thats is where my 2nd,not 3rd light goes along with maps,snack,bottle of water etc.
But for regular hiking most things go in my camelbak.

freedommachine

I have found to much stuff in your cargo pockets can rub your legs sore if you are not used to it. But I keep most things in my camelbak but I always wear pants or shorts with cargo pocket for the camera and dog leashes, for when the dogs are off leash. And maybe some mints or cough drops in my pockets to.
Caving I prefer more in my cargo pockets becuase even a thin camelbak can be to big to fit into places,I usally wind up pulling my camelbak along side me.When stuffed into a little tiny lava tube I can only access my side pockets so thats is where my 2nd,not 3rd light goes along with maps,snack,bottle of water etc.
But for regular hiking most things go in my camelbak.