Pony or Horse

Erwin

I am looking at buying my son and daughter a horse or pony. They are 4 years old and 8 years old. I know I was pretty young when I got my first horse, but should I start them on a pony to get them use to riding?

Rider One

I think you need to get them a horse they can ride. The four year old could never ride a grown horse safely, unless you get a Shetland pony. Are you going to give them lessons, too?

Chippin

I never much saw the point in ponies. Children outgrow them faster than you'd think. It's better to have a horse.

Before actually buying one though, I'd recommend looking for some parks or farms that offer horseback riding lessons or let you rent a horse for a few hours. My love of horses all started when my family and I went to park that featured horse riding. There were guides there to make sure the horses stayed on the trail, but otherwise, it was a horse to ride for an hour. It was one of the best experiences I ever had.

Erwin

Yes, Rider One my good friend gives lessons on his farm for children and adults alike so I was planning on getting them the equipment and horse or pony and then contacting my friend for lessons.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Well, a horse will live about twenty years. They can live a lot longer but generally only if pampered and they aren't worth much. A pony will live a lot longer. Fifty years is not unheard of but they are kind of feisty. Some are downright mean including the Shetland.

The best horse I ever had was never broke. He let me ride him because he trusted me. Horses aren't machines. They have feelings. They're not very bright but you can gain their trust. Once you do, they'll do anything for you.

JDSport

I learned to ride on a pony and then a horse so that is what I would suggest. I agree with dinosaur though that once you gain their trust they are with you. I treat my animals as I would want to be treated and I wish everyone did.