Portable Game Consoles While Camping?

HikerChick

Some parents swear by portable game systems to keep their kids entertained on the long drives sometimes involved with camping trips. Other parents refuse to allow electronic toys because it would take away from the nature experience. What's your take - are portable game consoles a no or a go for camping kids?

2coastcamper

In my opinion, parents who need portable game consoles to keep their kids entertained need to take a deep look within themselves, and wonder why it takes technology to keep their kids content. This time outdoors should be time with your family ... not Grand Theft Auto, no Everquest, no Metal Gear Solid. Break your kids from the deadly clutch of the sedentary lifestyle video games foster, and you'll have given your child a better life for it.

Last edited:

Outdoormom

I do allow my daughter to bring her Nintendo DS with her when she is camping. She is one of those kids that plays her DS maybe twice a week. She is not addicted to it.

I believe if there is a healthy balance between outdoors, video game, school work, family time, sports and anything else she has going on in her life--I really do not have a problem with video games.

If a child is addicted to them, then I believe the video games should stay home and the child should experience life without video games.

camperchick

I agree with Outdoormom. I have no problem with kids playing games on the drive or having them for something to do if it rains. I don't think they should spend the whole weekend on it but a little is not a problem to me.

Archer

I think they are good for the car ride, but once we get to our camping spot, put them away and leave them away until the car ride back. The summer camp I worked at last summer actually banned portable gaming devices and required that all ipods have videos removed for this very reason; kids miss out on the outdoors when glued to a screen.

HikerChick

One parent pointed out to me that the newer consoles can "link up" to each other and the whole family can play one another on their individual players. I guess that would be good for family time, but I still think that it means nobody is truly experiencing the outdoors...

bugsy

I wouldn`t want my kids takig that stuff camping. We go camping to enjoy being outdoors. Too many kids are addicted to these things, portable and not portable. Time to play outside like we did as kids. Use your imagination kids. It`s there somewhere lol.

outdoorsy

Nope, let them stay home. Then again we don't drive too far when we go camping. I have no problem with them going on long drives, as long as they stay in the car (locked up). Kids need to go out and explore and play when camping, not play video games.

OpenAir

I really don't like video games at all, and let my daughter play on a leapster 2 only at weekends, for short periods of time. I don't like the brain drain, and I hate the things that they see in games.

Topaz

I enjoy video games very much, and see it's artistic and educational points to it. But I keep my video game hobby and outdoor hobbies separate.

Hilltopper

For the drive, we let the kids bring there handheld games. But, once we are there, we usually have plenty to do to keep them occupied, so they stay packed up until the ride home. Plus the last thing we want is for someone to lose something while we're out there.

Lightfoot

We don't go camping just to do the same things we can do at home. We leave the games behind and enjoy ourselves doing other things.

Gondor

In my opinion, parents who need portable game consoles to keep their kids entertained need to take a deep look within themselves, and wonder why it takes technology to keep their kids content. This time outdoors should be time with your family ... not Grand Theft Auto, no Everquest, no Metal Gear Solid. Break your kids from the deadly clutch of the sedentary lifestyle video games foster, and you'll have given your child a better life for it.
Well put! I also don't see the point of carrying such amusement outdoors. If you don't know what outdoor activities are for don't engage in them.