Potatoes and how to cook them?

popupgirl

I’m crazy about potatoes, I love them when camping and I love them at home. I make fried potatoes with fresh potatoes and peppers and onions when at camp. I found a recipe that calls for olive oil and butter over diced potatoes. I’m going to try this one this weekend.

How do you cook potatoes at camp?

Sierra

I like to cut them into large cubes and cook them in foil with olive oil and anything else I happen to have on hand like onions, fresh herbs, jalapenos, etc. We put the foil packet directly on the fire for a while and the potatoes get browned and crispy - that's my favorite part, lol.

firefly

I just wrap them in foil and put the close to the fire but not in it. They seem to take awhile to cook but they are good. I don`t always take potatos camping.

Woodzie

We take potatoes with us every time we go camping. They are easy to cook. I wrap them in tinfoil and throw them right in the coals. I sometimes will slice into them a bit and had a few slices of onion before I wrap them up in foil.

outdoorgirl

I like to chunk my potatoes up with some peppers and onions. I marinate them in Italian dressing for an hour or so and put them in one of those foil packets. I cook them over the campfire, turning the packet over ever so often until they are done.

campgirl

Outdoor girl- those sound so yummy. We usually cut them up and toss them into a tin foil pan and add peppers and onions and a tough of olive oil. Turn them often so they don't stick.

Does anyone do anything with cheese? I love cheesy potatoes.

Georgie

I love potatoes with cheese on them. I like to use the nacho cheese. The kind that you melt in the microwave and pour over nachos.

You do the chunk up cooked potatoes and pour the cheese over them. Then add bacon bits and sour cream and you have loaded potatoes. YUM!

Penny

I like to wrap them in foil with a bit of salt, pepper and olive oil. Put them in the coals of the fire and wait about 1-2 hours. I like to make it a full a meal so we usually bring bacon and pineapple and top with sour cream!

Smokeybear

Oh Yum! Pineapple and bacon on top of a potato, that sounds so good. I wonder, do you use regular bacon or Canadian bacon? It makes me think of a Hawaiian pizza.