Potatoes?

campgirl

What is your favorite way to make potatoes when camping? My family loves camping and they love potatoes. We usually just wrap them in foil and toss them on the grill.
I'm looking for something different.... any ideas? :tinysmile_fatgrin_t

greengrass

Hmmm... we usually do the same - foil. It's much easier and less clean up so I think that's why we stick with it. I guess you could slice them and fry them in butter or oil. Messier though!

outdoorsy

We do the same the first night and then the next day we fry the leftovers. We all love fried potatoes. I have some friends who like to add cheese to their potatoes when they are baking- it's pretty good.

Pebbles

We do basically the same, slice them up, put them in foil with some butter, chopped onions, garlic, and salt and pepper. The family loves them and it's easy.

looey

I sometimes make a prepack before we even leave to have that first night out, something that can chill in the cooler on the drive up to our grounds.

bacon (seperate)
onions
garlic salt
lil pepper
lil butter
sour cream (seperate)
lil sugar

southerngal

We do basically the same, slice them up, put them in foil with some butter, chopped onions, garlic, and salt and pepper. The family loves them and it's easy.
That sounds so good! I don't know why I never thought about adding onions and garlic in with the potatoes in the foil before!Thanks for the idea!

woodzman

I sometimes make a prepack before we even leave to have that first night out, something that can chill in the cooler on the drive up to our grounds.

bacon (seperate)
onions
garlic salt
lil pepper
lil butter
sour cream (seperate)
lil sugar
I do something very similar at times, but instead of the sugar I use maple syrup.

Outdooruser

I never heard of adding sugar or maple syrup to potatoes. Interesting!

We slice 3 slots in each potato and but onion slices, butter, garlic, salt and pepper right into the slots. We wrap them in tinfoil and throw them into the hot fire. They taste so good when they are done.

javen

I just know how to bake potatoes in the camp fire. All I did was poke each potatoes with fork, season it with melted butter, some salt and pepper. I even added some rosemary herbs to add flavor to it. Of course I double wrap them with aluminum foil and bury it in the hot coals for 30 to 60 minutes until it becomes soft. Yummy!

Flowerchild

We like to take the leftover baked potatoes and mix them up on the flat grill with eggs, sausage, onion, and lots of cheese for one of our camping breakfasts.

Mandy

I put a slice of ham, potato, butter, onions and sometimes even green beans or broccoli in the foil and let them cook in the hot coals. It makes a nice filling meal after a long day of hiking and swimming.