Practice pays off

Marshmallow

My nephew has spent the last couple of years practicing with his bow and arrow in his grandmother's back yard. He's 14 and gets really bored during the summer and practices on targets and tin cans. He's been asked to be on the county archery team. The guy who saw him says he's the best shot he's seen. There's nothing like practice, is there?

Hikenhunter

Well I would say congratulations are in order. Sounds like you are proud of him. That is great. Be sure to try and get to his competitions, nothing shows them more support than having their family members show up for their meets.

Grandpa

I've always said, "I'd rather be lucky than good, and the more I practice, the luckier I get."

Congratulations to your nephew. That really is quite a complement from a fellow archer and a huge achievement for one so young. I'm sure you will support him in his adventures.

BGreen

Here's more congratulations for your nephew! Archery is a sport we don't hear about much in our area. I did know a guy once who ranked number one in his state at one time. He wasn't much of a hunter, but he was great at archery.

Barney

Wow, as I always say, practice is very important not only for learning something for the first time but also maintaining your skills as years go by.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I never practice. I just hunt, which may explain my percentages. But then I hunt twelve months a year. There's always something available and legal to take with a bow.

Grandpa

I never practice. I just hunt, which may explain my percentages. But then I hunt twelve months a year. There's always something available and legal to take with a bow.
Yes, but you're the Dino. The rest of us need to practice a bit.:tinysmile_twink_t2:

carmen

Congrats indeed, a bow is not something that everyone can master. I have tried a few times but give me a gun any day. For those who are good with a bow, is it true that the less you think about the shot to less fear comes into messing the shot up? I heard it a few years ago from a friend but I have no clue if it is correct or not.

Grandpa

Congrats indeed, a bow is not something that everyone can master. I have tried a few times but give me a gun any day. For those who are good with a bow, is it true that the less you think about the shot to less fear comes into messing the shot up? I heard it a few years ago from a friend but I have no clue if it is correct or not.
Focus, concentation, the more you can clear your head and become one with the tool, the bigger the target gets. Whether a baseball bat, rifle, bow or even a hammer vs the nail, the minute you start to worry, the smaller the target appears. Your friend is correct.

However, shooting is a perishable skill. It does take practice to stay on top, whether with a rifle, bow or shotgun.