Predicting weather

javen

I never thought of this before. How do you guys predict weather when you are on a wilderness trip? Can you share us some tips about predicting weather so that we could prepare in advance and take basic safety procedures to avoid danger?

Adventurelover

That is a tough question. I have never gone more than a few days at a time and I check a few weather sites before I go. I also have a battery operated weather radio that beeps if there is a warning up.

woodzman

No dew in the morning, a halo around the sun or moon during the summer, a change in wind direction and smoke that hugs the ground instead of rising are a few indications that a storm is coming.

enzo

Just watch air pressure, the clouds, the behavior of animals and the red sky. They help indicate whether the weather next day will be fine or stormy.

Flannelshirt

No dew in the morning, a halo around the sun or moon during the summer, a change in wind direction and smoke that hugs the ground instead of rising are a few indications that a storm is coming.
I'm going to have to pay more attention to this and see how it works out. Thanks for the tips.

looey

I could not do this if my life depended on it. The closest I can get is sticking my arm outside the front door to figure out what I should wear that day and yes I still do this even as old as I am now. :)

grand

There are phrases that goes: "Rainbow in the morning, sailors take warning." Of course you have to watch the clouds. Cirrus clouds mean fair weather.