Prized Outdoor Possesions

ppine

Forester
Some of my camping equipment is really old and is very comforting to have around on a trip. I really like some old guns that have been in the family for 2 generations, like a Model 70 Win I got from my great Uncle Merrill of Granger, WY. I really like my bedroll and the down bag and blankets. I still have one great old saddle, and my truck Nellibelle. What are your prized possesions?

Bojib

I don't know if I really have any prized outdoor possesions. I've given it some thought and I'm not coming up with much.

I do like my old Coleman Fuel Lantern, especially now that it's getting some age to it. It's starting to get the "look" of an older lantern.

I have a pocket knife given to me by a dear old friend before he passed away. I also have a knife that was my Grandfathers before he passed away, which happened before I was even born, so I never met him. While an outdoor type of gear, they never get used anymore, they stay locked in a safe.

It is neat though, how some gear as is gets older it gains a personality of sorts. It's like having an old friend around.

CozInCowtown

My Kraig Carbine. Possibly went up San Juan Hill with the Rough Riders. No way to prove it but in the same serial number range as used by Teddy Roosevelt and his crew.
My grandfathers saddle. It has not been used in years but it is in the tact room in the barn ready to go if needed.
When my father passes on I will get his Winchester, my grandfathers Winchester and my great-grandfathers Winchester. I will keep them with my Winchester.
My birthday lantern. All Coleman lanterns have a manufacture date on them and I have one the same age as I am. 6/1967
Coz

Last edited:

dinosaur

troublemaker
I thought about this one for a while. My most prized outdoor possession is my knowledge of the land. I know where the mushrooms are and when they'll be there. I know how to find wild onions and garlic. I can recognize poke salad when it's young enough to pick. I know how and where to find elderberries, gooseberries, raspberries and serviceberries. I can recognize fruit bearing trees by their bark so I know when to come back and find the fruit. I know how to dig chicory root and roast it over a fire. I can make deadfalls and snares and fish traps. I can build a lean-to with a knife as my only tool. And I can kill birds with a stick.

This list only scratches the surface of the things I have learned. It's not that I am so proud of it, but I'm happy with it.

I do like having a knife with me but it doesn't make any difference what size it is. I'll figure out how to use it. Your mind is the most important tool and as defective as mine is, it's still my favorite.

Hikenhunter

Yea, I'm with dino on this one, except that I am proud of the knowledge I have to enjoy the outdoors and the secure feeling I get in my confidence in my ability to thrive in the outdoors. I like knowing that I can make the best of even the worst conditions that I could encounter. I also know that there is a lot more to learn and I am happy that I will learn more as the years go by.

Lamebeaver

Memories of camping with my children when they were younger.

I have some old rifles and shotguns, which will be handed down, but stuff is really just stuff.

I helped a friend pack up this weekend (He's moving to Juneau) and it made me come home and evaluate what we have and what would be worth moving.

As far as knowledge, I have some of that too. Secret off-trail lakes teaming with cutthroat trout, etc. but I would move to another area in a heartbeat. I would welcome the challenge of exploring and discovering "new knowledge".

Judy Ann

A book light. One of those $12 Barnes and Noble LED lights. Not as obtrusive as a flashlight or headlamp, but it goes with me on every trip and is used multiple times during the night.:tinysmile_hmm_t:

monde

My battery-operated key chain that keeps mosquitoes away from biting me. Brought this with me at the camp and it quite made my night comfortable while sleeping.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

An interesting question.

Other than my UTE...and my knowledge of the critters that I share the outdoors with...I would have to say my sling pack, which carries both my regular and emergency gear.

PS...didn't know it would be double posted...!!

Last edited:

Backroad Joe

Well after thinking about I'd have to say my most prized outdoor possession is my 1968 Jeep CJ5. It is the reason I have so many enjoyable memories of time spent outdoors. It has taken me to many, many very remote and wonderful places. And it always gets me back home.