Pumpkins

JeepThrills

When do you usually buy your pumpkin for Halloween? We usually get ours the week before, but there are only a few days between it and Halloween, so I'm thinking maybe we should get it around the 21st.

mamabear

I would love to get mine today. However, if we have any more warm to hot weather, they may rot if I leave them sitting outside. I love to see the pumpkin/flower/hay bale displays around. I just wonder how long the pumpkins will last.

jason

fear no beer
They do not last long here in the heat. I get mine no more then three days before. Sad to say but I may not get any this year though. Just not much free time. But it is ok, I'm taking my kids out anyway.

Tubby

We gave up getting pumpkins because the kids are grown and the grandchildren usually go to Halloween parties. We just don't decorate like we did and when we do, we usually will decorate for Fall instead of just one holiday. After Thanksgiving, we usually start getting ready for Christmas.

Grandpa

Daughter is bringing us some pumpkins this week. But not for jack-o-lanterns. Grandma makes her own filling for pumpkin pies. She'll cook them, mash them, measure them out and freeze them for later. I do love homemade squash and pumpkin pies.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Blueskyy

I am actually planning to get one for my kids tomorrow, but not to cut. I am going to let my little ones paint a face on it. Probably the weekend before Halloween I will get a couple for them to make jack-o-lanterns with.

ponderosa

I grow the pumpkins for my kids' jack-0-lanterns. The stupid plant encroaches over the rest of the garden, but it is their favorite thing in the garden. They love watching those punkins grow huge and turn orange.
When I was 7, I grew a gigantic pumpkin. When the top was off, I could climb inside. We had to use a lightbulb with an extension cord to light it. It was big. I found that old package of seeds in my mom's seed box this spring. They were over 30 years old...but I thought I'd try 'em anyway. Well they worked, and we now are the proud owners of two pumpkins, each nearly three feet high. If I'd tried (watered & fed more, pruned & buried more tertiary vines, cut off blossoms & unwanted pumpkins earlier), I'm sure they would've gotten quite a bit bigger, but I wasn't willing to sacrifice anymore garden space for them. It started freezing here last week, so we brought them in to the garage. It's cool enough during the day now, I'm sure they'll last just fine until Halloween.

edit: Well I just measured, and they're actually just a couple inches past two feet, but they're fatties. Now I have a number to beat next year. :)

Last edited:

carmen

I do not think we have ever gone through a year with a pumpkin (or the pie). This weekend we have a little auction in town coming up and some local artists are sending off their creations so we can bid on them, all money raised goes to the schools in the area. I will be getting at least one there plus about a week before the big day two more.

campclose

We already bought our pumpkins. If we waited that long (a week before) there would be no pumpkins left. It's a bad year too so that is why we went already. We did not get our gourds yet.

Luv2Camp

We will get ours next week. There are two places near us that have a whole bunch of them. Hopefully, they will still have a big selection.