Quality Guylines?

Gondor

I would usually use paracord to replace guylines on my tent and tarp. But I think it is a bit overkill, weight and strength wise. Do you know of any reflective thin yet strong guyline?

Grandpa

Most all the better gear manufactures carry it. Just do a search on "reflective cord" to find what you want.

bsmit212

I have rigged my own rain fly for my hammock. I just used the small 45 lb test string from wal-mart. As far as size and weight goes, not much advantage. As far as cost never checked, just was getting everything else there. I have been using it for about 3 years now and no issue or nor have I had to replace any. The reflective might be nice because mine is just white (now dirt color haha) and hard to see.

ponderosa

Kelty's is called Triptease Lightline. It's a gold color that is easily seen in daylight, and it glows brightly in the dark when the light shines on it. I think it's 3 mm, plenty strong. I've been happy with it. I'm sure there are others as well.

ghostdog

Valhalla, I am coming
Kelty's is called Triptease Lightline. It's a gold color that is easily seen in daylight, and it glows brightly in the dark when the light shines on it. I think it's 3 mm, plenty strong. I've been happy with it. I'm sure there are others as well.
That is what I have used for years and it makes very nice guylines. It has a good visibility. The sheath is woven nylon that holds a tautline hitch knot fast when under load but lets it slide well when adjusting the tension. The core is spectra that gives great strength for its weight. For tents and tarps it is hard to beat.

Gondor

Thanks guys, I will definitely buy it. It is somewhat expensive but I'm sure it does what it's suppose to. I see that MSR is also selling one in red color.

Barney

I also use Kelty reflective rope. It's light and visible. The only downside is that you need to point your flashlight directly at it to reflect light. I found that headlamp works much better.

rubbersoul

i've used the micro msr red rope, and i highly suggest avoiding this rope for guy lines. they don't reflect at night despite looking like they would, and they are nearly invisible during the day because they are so thin. i think i'll look into the kelty as well because i want something that people won't trip over day or night.

Barney

i've used the micro msr red rope, and i highly suggest avoiding this rope for guy lines. they don't reflect at night despite looking like they would, and they are nearly invisible during the day because they are so thin. i think i'll look into the kelty as well because i want something that people won't trip over day or night.
Is it strong at least? I'm searching for a thin rope that is strong. Kelty is fine but I don't think it will endure some of the stress I put it through.

rubbersoul

it is definitely strong enough for guy lines and probably most general-purpose camp/backpack rope applications. i didn't test the strength directly, but i imagine the guy loops on the tent will fail before the lines do. the rope is nice, just not visible which is something i was after.

Barney

I remember using some cord from County Comm, I believe they called it Tether Cord and it had a decent breaking strength. But it was not reflective and more rigid than these mentioned here.

Gondor

That's usually the price for such a cord. Sometimes they are little more expensive than that, especially if it is a known brand in question.

Marshmallow

One additional thing we always do is tear white reflective plastic strips to make little flags and add to all our guidelines. These help keep people from tripping over them, plus they are visible in the moonlight.