Raw fish

HikingGuy

Anyone eat raw fish? My grandad used to gut the fish and eat it just like that, I never got the courage to try it, I always liked mine cooked.

hikinboot

I am not a fan of raw fish, I prefer mine cooked as well. I like Sushi bit not the stuff with raw fish. For me it's a texture thing.

HikingGuy

I have to say, my problem as well is texture. I don't like raw steak either. I will eat it rare but it needs to have lost it's "jiggle" first.

Sophia

I suppose I eat raw fish when I eat sushi, although I prefer to choose the cooked variety. But, fresh caught? No, never done that....

Trailer

I guess that at least whilst it is fresh the risk of disease is minimal. But still, the fish could have an infection-I guess I'm a stickler for this, I wouldn't do it.

HikingGuy

The sushi I eat is made from cooked fish, sushi-mi is the stuff made from raw fish. Many Asians eat fish raw, I was grossed out at the sushi restaurant one day.

Geordie

I doubt I can do that, I can not stand the smell of fish cooking in the house, if it's not on the barbeque it's a total turn-off for me.

HikingGuy

You sound like my wife, she will eat it if it is cooked outside, I am not allowed to cook it in the house, she cannot stand the smell.

betsy

I like smoked fish, it is my favorite way to eat it on Sushi, it is not really cooked, but it is...I am not sure exactly how smoking does it, but is doesn't have that raw texture anymore.

HikingGuy

My one uncle smokes his own stuff and it turns out really good. He smokes fish, meat and everything in between. He even did a turkey once and it turned out fantastic.

dinosaur

troublemaker
As Terry Bradshaw said in an old commercial, raw fish either needs to be cooked or used for bait.

Grandpa

We have our little smoker ovens but in the old days BE, (before electicity) They had smoke houses where they smoked whole carcasses of beef, pigs, wild game, fish, whatever. The Indians would build drying racks and sun dry their meat.

koolaidguzzler

I've been told by many salt water fishermen that they have eaten raw pieces of freshly caught ocean fish. But they tell me not to eat raw freshwater fish. Dunno, but it makes sense to me.

wvbreamfisherman

I've had sashimi tuna and salmon and enjoyed them.That said, I prefer cooked fish. Never tried freshwater fish, but I suppose it would be OK to eat.

I dearly love smoked fish, which is preserved, but not cooked. Never worked up the nerve to try lutefisk, tho.... BLEAHHH