Remedy for Blisters

I hate when you hike, or even just buy new shoes, and end up with blisters on your feet. When I was in high school, I had a pair of combat boots, that were hell on my feet. I heard somewhere, that if you sprayed your feet, with deodorant spray, your feet toughened up. It worked, and I have not had blisters since!

oldsarge

There was another thread on these forums that brought up the same issue. I had made mentioned of something I once used in the Army that would toughen up your feet. Now I can't seem to find the information I had on it. Maybe someone will read this and possibly help us out here. Other than using that, I would use mole skin a lot. Also on a long road march we would put on a pair of nylons socks, then put on the wool issue socks over them. This allowed you feet to slip without causing blisters. Later on we went to town and bought women's nylon footies and used those, they were much cooler.

Wild Rose

Thanks, I am going to try this remedy out. When I buy new sandals or flip flops, they always rub blisters on my feet. I tried putting baby powder, on my feet, but it did not work well.

ejdixon

I hate when you hike, or even just buy new shoes, and end up with blisters on your feet. When I was in high school, I had a pair of combat boots, that were hell on my feet. I heard somewhere, that if you sprayed your feet, with deodorant spray, your feet toughened up. It worked, and I have not had blisters since!
Sounds interesting. You get rid of blisters AND still have fresh smelling feet. :tinysmile_twink_t2: I'll try this out when I go hiking next weekend.

IndianaHiker

Best thing to do is to get good socks and foot wear that fits correctly. I don't buy into the line of thought that one has to have blisters just because they boots or shoes are new. The last three boots that I have purchased I removed them from box and wore on hikes at least 10 miles or better with no blisters. Two of the three were worn on multiple day trips with no break in. The trick is to get the size correct, and get a brand that fits the shape of your foot correctly. I also would encourage people to in vest in good socks. Cotton is rotton and will only lead to pain. In my mind wool is the way to go. Heck gotten to the point now that I pretty much only wear wool socks even on a daily bases as it so much more comfortable.

pastywhite

Grand Poobah
Best thing to do is to get good socks and foot wear that fits correctly. I don't buy into the line of thought that one has to have blisters just because they boots or shoes are new. The last three boots that I have purchased I removed them from box and wore on hikes at least 10 miles or better with no blisters. Two of the three were worn on multiple day trips with no break in. The trick is to get the size correct, and get a brand that fits the shape of your foot correctly. I also would encourage people to in vest in good socks. Cotton is rotton and will only lead to pain. In my mind wool is the way to go. Heck gotten to the point now that I pretty much only wear wool socks even on a daily bases as it so much more comfortable.
Yep. No reason at all to have blisters. If the boots/shoes fit correctly you won't have blisters.

CFlyer

Correct fitting and comfortable socks will prevent blisters.

When you already have blisters, you can try putting toothpaste on the affected area. It will soothe the blisters. This is a personal experience but prevention is always better than cure so get good socks and shoes that would exactly fit on your feet.

southerngal

Interesting! Deodorant and toothpaste so it's something you already have around the house or (hopefully) out with you if you are camping and hiking for a few days.

OldSole

I've heard the deodorant tip before. I've never tried it but I have heard of it. My hiking boots fit properly and feel wonderful. I agree with Indiana Hiker on the wool socks. First the lanolin that is in the wool serves to soothe the skin, then the fact that wool stays comfortable even when wet. Good thread.

IF you have already developed a blister, pierce it on the side next to the edge with a sterilized needle and drain it. Then bandage it and leave the skin on it. It will dry out and the skin will shield it until it develops new skin. Watch the area to make sure it doesn't develop an infection.

Grandpa

The military uses Tincture of benzoin for blisters. If the blister is bubbled but not broke, make a tiny hole directly into the blister, drain, and refill with the tincture and tape.

Since I don't have any tincture of benzoin, I just make sure my shoes fit and I wear merino wool socks.

oldsarge

The military uses Tincture of benzoin for blisters. If the blister is bubbled but not broke, make a tiny hole directly into the blister, drain, and refill with the tincture and tape.

Since I don't have any tincture of benzoin, I just make sure my shoes fit and I wear merino wool socks.
Thanks Grandpa, I knew someone would remember what I was talking about. We never used this as you described, but we would apply this to the bottoms
of our feet at night. By morning the sole of our feet were tight like leather. It worked great! Just don't let the sheets touch your feet while you're sleeping, it's hell getting them off by morning.

Grandpa

Yes Sarge, son in law said he did that for toughening. (navy corpsman with marines) He did the actual blister thing for me and I did 30 miles the next two days with no soreness. After the initial screaming and hollering when he injected it into the blister, I was fine. Within an hour or two I had forgotten the blister was even there and it was a good big one right on the heel. Never wore those boots again either.