Sawyer Mini Water Filter

Bojib

Picked up a new water filter recently. It's a Sawyer Mini Water Filter. You can check them out here: https://sawyer.com/products/sawyer-mini-filter/

I really like the concept behind this filter. It can be used in several different ways. It comes with a bag that will screw on to the filter. You fill the bag up with the water you want to filter, then squeeze it through. It can also be used as a straw type filter, so you can drink straight from the source, or fill your bottle up and use it to drink from. It's designed so you can put it in line on a tube like those found in a water bladder system as well.

A pretty versatile little filter. I like that it comes with a syringe as well and you can backwash the filter with the syringe (using clean water of course) to extend the life of the filter. It filters down to 0.1 microns and is supposed to filter out a high percentage of bacteria and protozoa (99.99999% and 99.9999%) as well as other particulates.

I've tried it on the city water here and it filtered the chlorine and other weird flavors in the water system. I would try it out in the creek nearby, but I don't trust the water to not have other harmful chemicals in it that may not get filtered out, there are a couple factories and a prison a few miles up stream. Whenever I get back to the "homeplace" were I grew up to a creek that I trust, or to one of my hiking areas where I can trace the headwaters to a good source I'll give it a try. Not going to put myself in harms way if I don't need to.

Just thought I'd give my brief review and recommendation for this filter. I like it, it's versatile, it's easy to carry. It'd be a good addition to any day pack, overnight pack, or B.O.B.

I found mine for around $25, a more than fair price if I can get 100,000 gallons of use out of it. Heck, 50,000 gallons would still make it a fair price. It's not like I'm going to be keeping track of the exact amount I put through it.

dinosaur

troublemaker
This is pretty cool but I always boil my water and let it settle. This has a tendency to filter out all the bad stuff. If I have any doubts, I boil it again. I'm still alive.

Bojib

When I'm hiking I'm not really interested in taking the time to boil water. I'll stick with the filters for that.

Nothing against it though.