Schwinn 20" Self Seal Tube

oldmangunner

I bought my son a new set of inner tubes for his bike, he does a lot of ramping. I had no idea that there was such a thing as self seal tubes. There is gel inside the tube that is supposed to prevent flat tires. I wanted to test it out to see if it is really self sealing but my grandson wouldn't let me run a nail in to the inner tube! :p

Zelda

That is really neat. I didn't know they made tubes like that. After thinking about it, it does make sense that we should have the technology to make something like that. I wonder what sort of gel is in the tube. Let us know if it works.

KeikoOka

I wonder if they can, or do, use that technology in other kinds of vehicle inner tubes. Does anyone know if the gel used in those tubes is sensitive to overly hot or cold temperatures?

hydethebeef

I think that tire sealant is pretty much the same type of gel used in bike tires. I don't know what the gel is made from but it is becoming more popular. I think the biggest issue with the gel would be the extreme heat from friction.

Ilovelife

This is the first time I have heard of this being used in bike tires. My son blows 2 or 3 tires a year. If this kind of tire really works it could save the time and money spent on his inner tubes.

oldsarge

I was re-filling the tire once after replacing the tube, I didn't have it seated correctly and it popped. The green slimy stuff shot out all over me. Nasty stuff right there!

Grandpa

They started selling that stuff for auto tires back in the '70's. But I thought they quit because the increased retained heat caused tire damage. It should work good on slower speed tires like bicycle, farm and garden tires.

CaliRockJumper

these are the only way to go. i have had the same slime filled tubes on my downhill MTB all year. when they go flat, pull out the sticker and refill the tube with air. it should seal just fine. the only slight problem is that they are heavier than air tubes. this makes a difference in something as light as a mountain bike, but doesnt make much difference in a motorized dirtbike. they arent as strong, but they are wayyyyy lighter than a solid rubber tube.

these are commonly sold at your local bike store, here in california they are $14 per tube for a 26" bike. cheaper as the size goes down. with the couple dollars more that you spend, you wont have to replace the tube every time you get a flat. it gives you awesome piece of mind when out on a dirt trail. i am more worried about someting going wrong mechanically than i am about my tires. this pretty much takes all of the fear of getting too far away from my truck right out. i am finding myself going longer distances and worrying less about the bike, and staying more focused on the trail.

it is somewhat like fix-a-flat, but they dont fill the entire tube with the slime, and it does not expand to inflate your tire like fix a flat does. but yes, its generally the same concept.