Self-inflating Mattress

paloma

Any suggestions regarding a self-inflating mattress for back packing? I am having a difficult time getting the one I purchased from E-bay to even moderately inflate.

wvbreamfisherman

I have one I got from Cabelas, and it inflates fairly well, but I always end up adding a few breaths of air to get it firm enough. I suppose you might try inflating it with a pump til it's thoroughly inflated and leaving it a while. Maybe the self-inflating fibers inside have taken a set from being compressed for a long time.

Grandpa

Leave the valve open and the pad unrolled during storage. As bream suggested, use a few puffs of air.

ponderosa

I've been abusing an old thermarest for 20 years, by storing it rolled tight in a stuff sack with the valve closed. It won't self-inflate much as a result, but it blows up just fine with about ten breaths and is as cushy/warm as when it was new.

paloma

It was a new one purchased about two years ago. Maybe it was the storage problem that caused the difficulty. I will try Grandpa's suggestion about the storage for a change.

calanta

It seems like a horrible marketing deal if you sell out a self inflate and then everyone has issues with storing it proper. How do they expect us to use the product and store it? Not everyone has the room to leave it up all the time.

IndianaHiker

Not a marketing problem but a user problem in my case. The pads are not a mattress and are only 1 to 2.5 inches think. I knew better and was lazy after a 4 day trip and forget to take my Thermarest out of the stuff sack. The should be store unrolled with valve open. I can blame the maker just myself. The pad is still very usable and can be blown up in just a couple of minutes do it is really no big deal. Have had it for about 5 years now so it is durable and well made.

wvbreamfisherman

I'm bad about forgetting to lay my pad out for storage, but if you do unroll it and inflate it by mouth (or pump) and leave it that way for a while, it does help it inflate by restretching the springy fibers that help it inflate. Once they are really beaten down, though even this doesn't help a whole lot.