Shhh I'm hunting wabbits

ATVfan

I know I spelled it wrong- isn't that what Elmer Fudd always said.

How many people hunt rabbits? How do you cook them? I can remember my brother hunting for rabbits when we were kids. Then he skinned them and put them in a pot of boiling water. I never tried it!

woodzman

I do some rabbit hunting every winter after the big game seasons are over. I've had Beagles most of my life and love to hunt rabbits with them. I've hunted rabbits without them, but I get as big a kick out of hearing a dog run as I do out of shooting the rabbits these days. In my opinion, rabbit is delicious. Boiled like you mentioned with onion and the broth made into gravy and put on mashed potatoes is good. I'll post a recipe or two in the Campfire section if you're interested.

ATVfan

I knew there were more rabbit hunters out there! I'm sure someone would be interested in the recipes, but I don't eat rabbit. I wouldn't as a kid either. I don't think my brother hunts them anymore either. We had beagles growing up too and they always went out with him.

dhoyle

If you don't eat rabbits, stick to hunting jackrabbits and leave the cotton tails to those of us who do enjoy fried rabbit from time to time

paloma

I've never eaten a rabbit in my life and I am curious about how it tastes. Since it eats vegetables and grass does it taste like cow's meat or sheep?

RabbyTat

Been all over, but MS and LA at the moment
I used to walk a friend's land at dusk and scout for deer and poachers while toting a smallbore muzzleloader. I would work the edges of his veggie fields and food plots for rabbits and take long shots over my cross sticks. This was a lot of fun and I enjoyed eating the meat. There are a host of crockpot recipes for beef which are good -- just put rabbit in there in place of the meat.

Any mushroom sauce blends particularly well with rabbit with a touch of turnip.

Chippin

I've been rabbit hunting from the time I was little. They aren't my favorite game animals, but they do the job, and of course, they taste really good boiled or put into a stew. They always tasted like chicken to me though.

Erwin

Yes, that is what Elmer Fudd always said, and yes I love hunting rabbit. I boil mine and then put with rice and veggies. Really good stuff.

Grandpa

When I was little, I popped a cottontail. Mom wouldn't touch it so I cooked it myself. I cut it up and fried it like a chicken. I can't remember the exact taste but I really liked it. Anyway, my mom complained about the smell and everything else so much I never bothered them again. Got plenty of Jackrabbits to shoot so I leave the bunnies alone.