Shoes/boots for walking on rocks

HikingGuy

Are there special shoes for and walking on rocks? I would like to try spelunking but I tend to be clumsy and knowing my luck I would fall down and kill myself.

rockytibby

Hi hikingGuy, Spelunking is fun my husband and I go quite often. We use safety gear like helmets, knee pads, gloves, and boots. I dont know of alot of name brand boots, but we have Bellvues which are a combat boot with vibrum soles. I perfer my hiking boots I got at Big 5 (bear claws). Otherwise if I'm just hiking trails I wear Merrel shoes.

freedommachine

Yes combat boots really seem to work the best I have found in caves. The canvas side makes for a very flexible boot with a lot less break in time. Jungle and desert boot are my favorites. Most pairs will last a very long time under abuse.

Sophia

You have to have a shoe with a good sole. Something that goes over your ankle is ideal so that in the case of a fall, it won't be so easy to twist your ankle.

HikingGuy

Would it be better to have ankle support when walking on the rocks or is it that high of a priority. Flexible is good I see, but what about the extra support?

Grandpa

Rocks and boots kill my ankles. I prefer the flex of shoes. But then I have strong ankles to begin with. The soles of footgear come in to play on rocks as well. Some of the good, hard soles do not have the necessary grip for rocks. A friend had one of his group loose traction on a sandstone ledge in So. Utah. He quickly sat and used his hands and butt to keep from sliding further until one of the others could get him a rope. I wish I knew what that guys soles were made of, because if they wouldn't hold on sandstone, they are sure not going to hold on granite.

ChadTower

If it helps I've spent a lifetime jumping around on ocean shoreline rocks and my preference there is a good pair of trail running sneakers tied nice and tight.

Grandpa

If it helps I've spent a lifetime jumping around on ocean shoreline rocks and my preference there is a good pair of trail running sneakers tied nice and tight.
Thats exactly what I'm talking about. Thanks for the backup Chad.

In addition, once those heavy boots do get wet, they stay damp, where as the lighter shoes, combined with wool socks are dry in a very short time.

ChadTower

Yeah, it's all about grip on the rocks, and the trail runners have all sorts of grip. If your ankles aren't strong enough to manage the angles then tying a boot tight around your ankle is probably just masking the root problem. Stay with 3 points to the rock when you can, 4 points when needed, and make sure you have a path out of anywhere you go in.

HikingGuy

Thanks for the advice. I just bought a new pair of trail shoes and they have a really awesome tread on them. I am going to try them on the rocks and see how they fair.

ChadTower

Cool! Be very careful about examining the surface you're about to step on. The trail treads are great but no shoe is going to save you from stepping on algae. Wet rocks are often slippery too. You have to examine the surface before every single step.

Benny

The tread is important, but I think that if you want them to cover your ankles it is up to you. I prefer to have something light on my feet, as long as they are not thin on the bottom. I think my ankles are pretty sturdy, though.

freedommachine

I always hike in trail shoes, but caving boots that cover your ankle are very important. When you eyes are looking where the light is pointing you can easily step in a crack in the floor, if it is rocky you could tear up your ankles easily. Caving require good gear to do it safe. Because one second you can be walking along looking at the roof so you dont crak your head then step in a hole and scape up your ankles pretty good,or watching the floor and crack your head. Ask me how I know?I love trail shoes, this day in age I find most shoes better than boots. But for caving be very careful with just shoes.