Shorts

outwest

I hate buying any type of stuff but clothes are the worst. I have lost a little weight and need to restock the shorts supply kit. Any good brands or deals to keep an eye out for would be nice.

DThewanderer

You know what, I go to the local goodwill and stock up on shorts. I do this because I tend to be very hard on shorts when I am out in nature. If I get muddy, wet or another kind of dirty I don't have to worry about ruining them. They are so cheap I can just replace them.

Ilovelife

That is not a bad idea. I do not tend to be so rough on my shorts though. Still I usually just go over to Walmart and get whatever brand that they have their. Seems to do just fine.

freedommachine

Yes walmart has pretty good shorts. I get mine there,not cheap,well super cheap. They are like 14 bucks and have cargo pockets and a thin but durable enough demin material. I think they are wrangler brand,or so it says on the tag.

Sarah

Levi's last quite a while for me so I try to find them on sale. Sometimes you can get really good deals at Academy when they do a sale, just gotta keep your eyes open.

IndianaHiker

For backpacking, I use convertibles. Then I have a pair of pans when I need them. I am quite fond of Eastern Mountain Sports attire. It's the right price for the quality (which is equivalent to it's competition i.e. Columbia, North Face etc)

Men's Shorts - Men's Pants & Shorts - Eastern Mountain Sports

Good advice I wear the same when backpacking. Many times it night to have the pant legs. Also for backpacking I recommend staying away from cotton. Nit everyone will agree with that but personally I will NOT wear any cotton when backpacking. I might for a day hike but thats it.

Grandpa

I wear zip offs on the trail as well. The wranglers are for running around the entry/exit towns before and after the hikes. The locals expect us to dude it up on sat nights, lmao.

outwest

There are times when I think I have a talent for destroying stuff, shorts included. Now I try to be smart when I buy since the price of everything goes up but I have yet to find durable shorts that stand up to what I put them through. I am just tired of paying the prices of them.

ChadTower

Good advice I wear the same when backpacking. Many times it night to have the pant legs. Also for backpacking I recommend staying away from cotton. Nit everyone will agree with that but personally I will NOT wear any cotton when backpacking. I might for a day hike but thats it.

Me too. Nylon water resistant shorts are great. They're light, they are breathable, and you can walk right through a creek and your shorts will be dry in a couple minutes. They can be saturated and take longer but that requires being in the water a while. Some have bathing suit linings so you can go commando and not worry about soaked underpants when crossing. The linings tend to chafe certain spots if you aren't used to them, though.

Not cheap but a great item to have out on the trail.