Shoulder Pain?

Barney

Is it possible to injure your shoulder by sleeping in an awkward position? I use my upper arm almost as a pillow and get incredible pain in my shoulder when I wake up. It gets worse as times goes by.

Last edited:

Grandpa

Sounds like you are putting pressure on the bursis. That is the lubricating sac between the ball and socket of the shoulder. The more you irritate the bursis, the worse it gets. Rotator excercise may help hold the ball of the arm out to avoid that pressure. Or you could develop another way of sleeping such as using a pillow. Better yet, talk to your doctor instead of listening to some old fart from the internet you've never met.

ppine

Forester
I had an attack of bursitis once that was so bad I ended up in the emergency room. I have been injured a lot, but that episode was terrible.

I wrecked my right shoulder in a ski crash on ice. Light weights emphasizing range of motion really helped in the last year even though the injury is 20 years old. The shoulder is a complicated joint that needs to be held together with muscle and tendons in good shape. Change your sleeping habits.

Greatoutdoors

I am going to have to try that Cappy! I have several joints that are causing me issues this year, and I am way too young for this. My shoulder has been killing me for the past couple of days too, but I am nearly certain I got twisted up in my sleep instead of injuring it some other way.

oldsarge

Find a good sports physical therapist. Mine had me using those silly little rubber bands and I was amazed on how well they worked. After years of weight training, martial arts and just plain old roughing it, I'm finding out now as I get older, it's all catching up to me. A simple little exercise like the "Cuff Series" really paid off.

Barney

Glucosamine with Chondroitin and MSM get it anywhere.
I used those before when I had other injuries. I will buy them again. They usually come in a fixed ratio combo. Thanks for the advice though.

ppine

Forester
The other dietary supplement made popular first in the horse industry is hauluronic acid or HA. It is especially useful for people that don't eat much meat protein.

The amazing way to rehab joints is to use them regularly without over using them. That provides lubrication and strengthens all the surrounding soft tissue.

texan4ut

I wake up with a different hurt every morning. :tinysmile_angry2_t:My dad used to say if I 'd known I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of myself.:amen: