Simple Camping Grill?

Barney

A need a simple, cheap, light, small, metal (stainless steel) grill which I can carry in my pack. It does have to be durable, but easy to carry at the same time. Any brand advice?

ChadTower

I tend to be old school but really I'd just grab a grate from the hardware store and set it up on some rocks above a few coals. Cheap, easy, multiple uses.

dinosaur

troublemaker
A good grill is a rock that will support a stick you ram into the ground. The other end of the stick holds the meat out over the coals.

Gondor

You have a good version from Coghlan's. It's cheap and durable, I know, I used it many times. It's small though so it won't accommodate food for more than 3 people.

Barney

Yeah, you can improvise a grill almost anywhere in nature. But that Coghlan's grill is super appropriate for what I need and its like 5 bucks!

Grizzly

Grizzled Camper
Go to REI or Amazon and purchase an MSR whisper lite. They fit into standard cooking pots for back packing.

Or you can buy the equipment cheap on ebay. There is little to break on these things.

Barney

Nice choice on Campmor, thanks Refrigerator. I already own a few stoves (gas, alcohol, candle) but I need a grill to use over a fire which wouldn't be hard to pick from your advices.

calanta

I tend to be old school but really I'd just grab a grate from the hardware store and set it up on some rocks above a few coals. Cheap, easy, multiple uses.
That sounds much better than the bulky thing that we tote around. I wonder why we spend so much on extra stuff that we really do not need and I bet cleanup is quick too!