Sleeping Bag for 6 year old

yosemitefan

I am shopping for gear for my children and am looking at sleeping bags for the younger kids (ages 6 and 8). There are some great sleeping bags that are just their size but they are kind of expensive. Should I buy adult size sleeping bags and let them grow into them or should I buy the bags they will fit into now? I'm concerned about them losing a lot of body heat if the bags are too loose. (I'm looking at mummy bags).

Bud

I guess the answer sort of depends on what kind of camping you intend to be doing with them. By and large, though, I would invest in adult sized bags. Kids grow like weeds, and you'll get much more use out of them.

yosemitefan

Well, we intend to tent camp so I want something warm and I think you're right about getting the adult size bags. I think if I spend a little more on quality mummy bags, that will help keep the heat in and they can use them for years. Thanks!

oldsarge

What if you bought a regular size and then fold it in half. Your child could have some extra padding to lay on, plus a little extra insulation between them and the ground. I knew guys in the Army who were really short, the mummy bags we were issued were too long so they would slide down as far as they could and then roll the head portion back under and made a pillow. I used to stuff my clothes in the bottom to take up room.

Benny

I would go with a larger one, too. You can not really find an inexpensive child-size bag, and why spend so much money on something you will have to replace soon?

oldsarge

If warmth is an issue, pick up an Army issue "Poncho liner", it is one of the most worthwhile pieces of equipment I was ever issued. They are very warm and light, easy to compress and store. On many occasions I would use it in my sleeping bag. Odd thing though...you can't use under your poncho unless you cut a hole in the middle, but you can fold it in half and make a field expedient sleeping bag with it and your poncho.