Sleeping bags?

Captain

I saw the one post here about the light sleeping bag. My son is going on a boy scout camping trip and it's going to be might chilly. He keeps insisting that we go buy a big bulky sleeping bag (that is what the leader is telling them). They have to carry their packs and their sleeping bags. I like there are plenty out there that are actually warmer and slimmer.

Any other recommendations? and where should we start to look?

hikingprincess

What you really need to look for is not bulk but temperature. Most sleeping bags will give you a temperature rating letting you know how low the temps can get and it will still keep you warm. I have one that is pretty slim and is good for below zero temps. My brother used it for several boy scout outings and it worked great for him.

Bobby

He can also wear thermals, warm socks, a hat and gloves while he sleeps. These things really make a difference on those cold outdoor nights.

FireBuilder

The mummy bags work well, too. They are less bulky and conform more to your body so they warm up faster and stay warm longer.

woodsman

Yup I have to agree with the other posters go for a mummy style sleeping bag with a low temp rating, there are some that are rated for -15 degrees Celsius, that bag would keep him worm even in the sub polar regions.

IndianaHiker

Afraid that the scout master needs to do some research on sleeping bags. You want to look at the bags rating. The number can lie though the better bags have a EN rating that is more true to life. IF the bag doesn't have an EN rating then take off 10 degrees from what temp is listed. For example a 30 degree bag will only be good to about 40 degrees for the average adult male. More like 45 for a female or smaller child. Another thing that he needs to keep warm in the winter of they are sleeping in tents or on the ground is a pad. A closed foam pad for Walmart will really help male a difference in keeping him warm. The things to look at in looking at pads is the R value that they are listed to have. My pad is by Big Agnes Insulated Air Core and is rated to 15 degrees. I typically closed cell pad should have an R value close to that which is a 4.

If you have any question PM I would be more than willing to help. I used to be an adult leader with Venture Crew and we camped and hiked year round. The last year we were together we were out 35 out of the 52 weekends in a year. I do have some experience in cold weather campi

Here are some links you might find helpful

The Basic Guide to Backpacking Sleeping Pads - Associated Content - associatedcontent.com

How to Choose a Sleeping Bag for Camping: Expert Advice from REI

Jade

I need a mummy bag good to -10C because of where I live and where I manage to find myself now and again. The bulkiness of the bag doesn't mean anything: the worlds fluffiest pillow isn't necessarily the best one to sleep with!

I really like the new holo-fill bags, they insulate even when wet or damp, like wool, and in the Pacific Northwest, that's also a huge consideration.

Aaron Maguire

Maguire
We use a lot of different bags. It depends on the trip and time of year. Our favorites are the Marmot. Really nice and comfortable. The $500 bucks I spent on the pair for my wife and I was really worth it. They are made well and we take care of them. I just bought a new bag for myself a couple of weeks ago made by "Kelty". I am anxious to take it on a trip and see how it fairs. We use self inflating mattresses(you have to help them a little bit). Small, compact very comfortable.

Michael

I have a Coleman mummy sleeping bag rated to 40F (5C). I took it out camping when it got down to a bit under 50F (10C). I was only wearing my boxers and a very light weight t-shirt, and I was so warm I couldn't even zip the bag all the way up, never mind pull the hood around my head.

Of course, that's with a ground pad. I imagine I'd have gotten colder if I'd needed to sleep on the ground without that.

When you pack the thing up, it's a little more than 2 pounds (1kg), including the stuff sack. It's maybe a little smaller than a soccer ball, although obviously more flexible and easily squished. It's much easier to deal with than a big, bulky bag.

With synthetic materials, there's really no need for a bulky bag on a scout camping trip.

Last edited:

CRhoads

A good old fashion military mummy bag would do. Both of my brothers and I were all in the boy scouts when we were kids and we all used mummy bags and never got cold.