Slingshot Hunting

craig

What's the biggest game you ever tried to hunt with a slingshot? Some people claim that with big enough ammo you can knock down even pretty heavy beasts, with right aiming of course.

Malarkey

I have a slingshot but I never tried hunting and I never will. Even though I am a very precise shooter I would not put my confidence into anything less than a bow for hunting.

Barney

I've started a similar topic a few months ago about slingshots and a version of slingshot which can use arrows and is called a slingbow. Now, that is definitely something reliable that you can use for hunting.

Bella Rae

I have a slingshot, that my paw paw made. I would be afraid I would just anger a beast, instead of killing it. I think I trust a bow or gun, better than a slingshot for hunting.

Lamebeaver

The short answer is yes. But I think the question you want to ask is "Can I legally hunt with a slingshot?"

What license are you going to hunt with?

Many states have requirements...I know in Colorado bows need a minimum draw weight of 35 lbs, and you need to use a broadhead at least 7/8".

To hunt big game with a rifle license, you need at least a .24 caliber rifle shooting an expanding projectile at least 75gr. I don't think a slingshot shoots an expanding projectile, so it wouldn't qualify.

Then there's the issue of a clean kill. There's a fair amount of skill and difficulty involved in hunting with a modern compound bow. Using a slingshot would be even more difficult. I don't know if I would want to use a weapon that I wasn't confident I could use to cleanly kill an animal.

sailorman

The biggest game I have ever hunted with a slingshot is a pig. Only instead of rocks or other ammo, I use birds. And they are very angry birds, too. Does that count?

Pathfinder1

Hi...

I always carried a home-made Y-shaped "slingshot" in my BOB, and a length of surgical tubing to go with it. Under the right conditions, it will take many types of small game. I have since replaced it with a factory made wrist slingshot. I have yet to use either one.

As to larger game, I certainly wouldn't use that type of slingshot. And since I am not proficient with a David-and-Goliath type of slingshot, I think I'll stick to trying for smaller game if/when I'm in a survival situation.

hippieP

Wow I feel dated, I had a slingshot as a kid but I never thought about anyone using it to hunt with. Is anything up to the size of a pig fair game when it comes to slingshot hunting?

(Pardon the pun)

What's the biggest game you ever tried to hunt with a slingshot? Some people claim that with big enough ammo you can knock down even pretty heavy beasts, with right aiming of course.
I've never tried to hunt with a slingshot before. As a matter of fact, I've never even used a slingshot before, lol. How hard is it to get the hang of using it accurately?

hydethebeef

I have always wanted to hunt with a slingshot, but I have never had anyone to teach me. I could just play around with it, but I would never get anywhere that way.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Many States will allow hunting only by more conventional methods. A survival situation would probably make some allowances. As far as general hunting with a slingshot, that is not something widely advocated, nor usually done.

There may be some 'net sites that could provide you with more appropriate information.

oldsarge

I carry a small wrist rocket slingshot in my pack. I'm sure it's good enough to take down small game like rodents and birds for a survival situation. Other than that, I don't think I'd plan any major hunting trips with one.

AK Hunter

I have killed a crow with one once, them are though birds you need to hit them in the neck or head to take em down.
I tried hunting rabbit but the most I could do is knock them senseless for a few seconds or make them squeal & run off.
I was using marbles for ammo, steel ball bearings cost too much.
I was just trying to keep them out of the garden. Be careful if you do this, plastic bird baths that have been out in the sun for a few years don't hold up well to getting shot. LOL:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Greatoutdoors

I carry a small wrist rocket slingshot in my pack. I'm sure it's good enough to take down small game like rodents and birds for a survival situation. Other than that, I don't think I'd plan any major hunting trips with one.
We have one in our BOB's my husband is actually quite a good shot with a sling shot. I on the other hand need much, much more practice.