Small craft riding by cruise ships

JimBob

I was driving past the harbor where all the cruise ships docked and I noticed some people on wave runners riding right up to the ships. I would think with all these precautions post 9/11 that it would be illegal to do that. Who's to stop some nut from planting something on the ship and riding off? Thankfully it hasn't happened, but I would think they'd have preventions for it as they do with many other security issues.

Pathfinder1

I was driving past the harbor where all the cruise ships docked and I noticed some people on wave runners riding right up to the ships. I would think with all these precautions post 9/11 that it would be illegal to do that. Who's to stop some nut from planting something on the ship and riding off? Thankfully it hasn't happened, but I would think they'd have preventions for it as they do with many other security issues.

Hi...

A good observation.

That wouldn't happen (again) to one of our Navy ships. Trying that could get you dead...!!

JimBob

Good point and you're probably right, although didn't something like that happen a long time ago to one of our ships by Lebenon or something? I remember some news about people driving up to a ship and detonating a bomb, but I can't recall any details. I do remember a picture I saw of it though.

Grandpa

Good point and you're probably right, although didn't something like that happen a long time ago to one of our ships by Lebenon or something? I remember some news about people driving up to a ship and detonating a bomb, but I can't recall any details. I do remember a picture I saw of it though.
USS Cole, harbored in the Yemeni port of Aden. 17 US sailors killed. Oct, 2000.

ppine

Forester
Is the word paranoia appropriate? There is not a lot of motivation to damage a cruise ship. It is a lot of fun to mess around with ships at anchor.

oldsarge

Is the word paranoia appropriate? There is not a lot of motivation to damage a cruise ship.
Sure there is! Even if it's not damaged heavily and no bodies killed. If you knew that cruise ships are being targeted, would you go on a cruise? Most folks wouldn't. This in turn cripples the cruise line business. What would happen if somebody started tossing hand grenades in Malls, people would stop shopping in them. Again hurting our economy. Look how 9-11 impacted the economy.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Yes, there is much motivation to take over a cruise ship, by pirates. It has happened a few times, sometimes with success. Successful pirates could receive millions of dollars in ransom for a cruise ship.

More and more cruise ships are taking "precautions"...although not involving firearms.

JimBob

So, some think I'm paranoid and some think it's just a legitimate concern. I myself am a big fan of going on cruises and there's no way I'd want mine ruined regardless of if anyone is injured or not. You pay a lot of money and don't want to worry about things like that.