Small Trailer for Camping Gear

RoyalAmbassador

Working Camper
If you have the money look at NorthernTool.com see Tow and Go Convertable trailer Item 578130-2101 It's a nice setup but at $2000 you would have to use it alot to pay-off.

MountainHomeCamper

If you have the money look at NorthernTool.com see Tow and Go Convertable trailer Item 578130-2101 It's a nice setup but at $2000 you would have to use it alot to pay-off.
I couldn't find it online at Northern Tool - they said it was no longer available. I did find a Tow-and-Stow that was a VERY interesting concept that may be something like that (or if you have a different link)?? Waaaay too pricey but really started me thinking along the lines of how to better store the trailer when not in use. Here's the link I found to the tow-n-stow:

TOW N STOW ENCLOSED UTILITY TRAILER AND STORAGE SHED

wvbreamfisherman

I couldn't find it online at Northern Tool - they said it was no longer available. I did find a Tow-and-Stow that was a VERY interesting concept that may be something like that (or if you have a different link)?? Waaaay too pricey but really started me thinking along the lines of how to better store the trailer when not in use. Here's the link I found to the tow-n-stow:

TOW N STOW ENCLOSED UTILITY TRAILER AND STORAGE SHED
Interesting, but I suspect it would be one of those multi-purpose gizmos which doesn't fullfill any one purpose very well. Also, it looks awfully low to the ground for being hauled over rough roads.

jackquontee

That's pretty sweet. How do you plan on covering it?
I'm assuming you're question is aimed at me? If so, I plan on laying out a tarp in the trailer first, loading the trailer, wrapping it closed and using straps. I had decided to practice loading (and reloading) to get things just right, and not wait until the very last moment. Now I just need to get the boys interested in going camping. lol

BTW, I purchased the trailer for $400.00.

ChadTower

I'm assuming you're question is aimed at me? If so, I plan on laying out a tarp in the trailer first, loading the trailer, wrapping it closed and using straps. I had decided to practice loading (and reloading) to get things just right, and not wait until the very last moment. Now I just need to get the boys interested in going camping. lol

BTW, I purchased the trailer for $400.00.

I've seen folks with that sort of set up. Up here in New England they often have trouble with the massive rain storms that can set in. The tarp just doesn't really cut it under those conditions.

In NH that sort of set up would have bear problems. We need something I can lock to make the bears move on to someone with less secure gear to tear apart.

Birddog

I recently have begun to purchase new camping equipment (Kodiak 10x14 tent, Disc-O-Beds, Big Buddy heater, tables, etc) and knew it was not going to be easy to carry in a GMC Terrain. Out of the blue I ran across a 3.5x5 trailer and spent a short time loading everything until I got it just right. So glad I found that trailer as loading and unloading will be so much easier.

BTW, I have enjoyed coming across this forum as much as I enjoyed finding this tralier I had wanted. I hope to be able to contribute as time goes by.

If I can remember tomorrow I'll take a pic and post it loaded loaded with gear, but here is one from the website where I found it:
That's a nice Trailer ! I searched the web and bought one like it but mine didn't have the steel mesh in the sides.I got a rear ramp for loading included,about a 4x7 or so at tractor supply co. On sale for $499 till July 28th.I think it's a good deal.I brought it home and put a 2 foot high box all the way around with 3/4 inch plywood and a 3/4 inch plywood over the mesh floor.painted all the boards black like the trailer.just finished it this evening.The only thing I still want to do is put a 3/4 inch plywood lid and some of those shocks like on my caravan rear door.then figure a way to secure the hatch well if we spend a night at a motel on a long trip.all my gear is well used,but people will steal anything.

jackquontee

That's a nice Trailer ! I searched the web and bought one like it but mine didn't have the steel mesh in the sides.I got a rear ramp for loading included,about a 4x7 or so at tractor supply co. On sale for $499 till July 28th.I think it's a good deal.I brought it home and put a 2 foot high box all the way around with 3/4 inch plywood and a 3/4 inch plywood over the mesh floor.painted all the boards black like the trailer.just finished it this evening.The only thing I still want to do is put a 3/4 inch plywood lid and some of those shocks like on my caravan rear door.then figure a way to secure the hatch well if we spend a night at a motel on a long trip.all my gear is well used,but people will steal anything.
Good for you, and I hope it works out well.

In all honesty, I would have preferred a slightly larger trailer (maybe a 4x6) but couldn't find one with the mesh on the sides and, considering the fact that I have no handyman skills to install sidewalls, the mesh walls was necessary. I also wanted to keep the weight down as much as possible since I'm pulling with only a 4 cylinder.

I'm taking my first trip next weekend and will post some pics of the setup.

ChadTower

If you're going to try this type of trailering you're going to want to pick up at least some basic skills such that you can repair the trailer. Out on the road, totally geared up, with kids in tow is enough work without having a pothole damage the trailer and you can't improvise a way to get moving again.

aksoutherland

This is an awesome thread, I have been looking at trailers lately to haul and store camping gear for me, the wifey and kiddos, it just doesn't quite all fit in the xterra.....
Last time we went out, I strapped a lot of it to the top of the xterra, but that made for some really bad gas mileage. :(. I found a small utility trailer at the local Home Depot I am thinking about picking up and building a plywood box on it to protect stuff from the elements. Make it so that the top and the rear opens so everything is easily accessible.

Birddog

This is an awesome thread, I have been looking at trailers lately to haul and store camping gear for me, the wifey and kiddos, it just doesn't quite all fit in the xterra.....
Last time we went out, I strapped a lot of it to the top of the xterra, but that made for some really bad gas mileage. :(. I found a small utility trailer at the local Home Depot I am thinking about picking up and building a plywood box on it to protect stuff from the elements. Make it so that the top and the rear opens so everything is easily accessible.
this is a picture of the one I built, I keep it in my garage so I will get more years out of it.if it was sitting outside all the time in the weather,the wood would need replacing almost every year with the rain showers we get here in florida.i just bungee a tarp on for a cover and when I get to camp,its off and out of the way so I can see everything to unload.i decided against a wood lid,this works fine for me.

Attachments

Last edited:

Laffeet

Years ago, my dad got a 4x8 fold-up utility trailer from Sam's club. The 2 best things about it are it takes up way less room stored in the garage, and it has paid for itself many times over. Everyone in the family borrows it for camping, kayaking, moving, hauling and everything imaginable. We've replaced the plywood deck and bought a few tires over the years but it's all been worth it.

ppine

Forester
What kind of a country do we live in, when you can find $300,000 motorhomes all day long, but finding a teardrop or a small utility trailer takes a lot of looking?

There is not much money to be made in small utility trailers.

Birddog

I looked for months trying to find a good deal on craigslist and everywhere,and people wanted more for used rusted 4 or 5 year old trailers than what you would pay for a new one.

ChadTower

I ended up putting a cap onto my pickup so I could get more vertical space. And it's great for long daytrips, etc, so far.

ppine

Forester
The simple solution is an old utility trailer made from a pick-up bed. Get one with large tires and add a canopy. Weld a boat rack.

ppine

Forester
Last fall I used a 4x8 foot utility trailer to go hunting for a week. We had an elaborate camp for cold weather and large coolers for meat storage. It worked remarkably well and towed fine even on rough roads going into the mountains. It was easy to unload and there was room for things like extra firewood.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
You need a truckler! Find a white trash neighbor that can weld. Cut the tail end off an old pickup (Ford or Chevy preferably), and weld a trailer connector to it. Then just get a tonneau hard cover for it. Wallah! It's a Truckler. Popular all over the south, they have many varied uses...and can be seen overloaded and wobbling unsteadily along the interstate, particularly I-20, 10, and 95.

Bojib

I've never heard it called a truckler, that's pretty good.

Around here they are mostly overloaded with scrap metal heading to the scrap yard. I don't know where they find all that scrap at. One thing is for sure though, when the price of metal went up the creek beds and hill sides around here got a lot cleaner. A lot of people started picking ever bit of scrap they could find just to get an extra buck.