Snow shoes

Betty

This year we invested in snow shoes. We have never done it before, but it sounded easy enough. Now all we need is some snow!

steves

I just got mine as well, and we just got 14" of fresh powder to go with them!!
I gotta tell ya it's a lot harder than it looks, especially if your the only one and need to do ALL the trail breaking yourself. Went out yesterday and did about a mile, it felt like I just hiked 10 miles all up hill !!

Jobiwan

Just got a new pair of Tubbs myself but as I write this it is raining and 45 degrees in central Vermont. I'm watching the last bit of snow melt away...:tinysmile_cry_t4:

Rider One

I love snow shoes. I don't have knew ones, just the ones we got a couple of years ago. They are so convenient, when there's snow that is. We aren't getting much of that right now ourselves.

Navigator

I got a pair of Tubbs for Christmas and I'm looking forward to getting out and doing some backpacking in the snow. I'm thinking maybe Dolly Sods, WV in February (my schedule in January is pretty full). But I'm pretty flexible, If anyone is interested...

Navigator

Fridge, I've had Roaring Plains on my punch out list for some time, how does it compare with Dolly Sods? At a casual glance, the trail system dosen't look like much more than a good day hike, at least without snow.

Refrigerator

Navigator/ There is a secret unmarked foot trail that follows the rim. I could send you information on that. The views are awesome. The view from Haystack is another superb view. Several of us are doing a early summer trip to Haystack and back through the unmarked trail. Shoot me your e mail and I will send you detailed information on everything I have about Roaring Plains.

Refrigeratorfridge@gmail.com

If you want to meet up with us this summer you are most welcome too.

BCBabe

Growing up in the middle of the province as a kid, we had the farm to snowshoe about: I have no idea about the names and types of snowshoes out there, because the ones we wore were actually made for us by the local Chilcotin aboriginals.

They were rounder and shorter than the traditional snowshoes, and were bound and strung with rawhide. You could really hoof it through the toolies wearing a pair of those, they didn't hang up on the trees and roots and saplings as the longer types did.

FireBuilder

We haven't tried snowshoes yet. We have constant snowcover from December to March, so it would probably make sense. Can kids use them too? Do you get them by shoe size or by weight?

Refrigerator

Snowshoeing is a great winter activity for the simple reason that just about anyone can do it. Buying snowshoes is also pretty easy, as long as you know what to look for. What makes buying snowshoes easy is that they only come in only a few sizes for each model so picking one is much easier than skis or snowboards. Snowshoes are designed for specific activities but they are also are extremely versatile. With a little information about how snowshoes work and where you want to use them, choosing the right pair of snowshoes is easy.

Snowshoes are sized by weight (your weight and weight of anything you are carrying) and by the snow density youll be above.
A pair of adjustable ski poles will help you keep your balance.
There are snowshoes designed for women, for children, even running.

Most of today’s snowshoes are constructed with aluminum frames and synthetic decking. The decking is usually made of a cold-resistant rubber or plastic material. Some compact snowshoes are frameless, that is, with a hard decking material supporting your weight on its own. Rubber decking is more flexible and lightweight but composite plastic decking is usually more durable.

Snowshoes secure to your boots with bindings, which consist of a platform and straps that go over the foot and around the heel. Most snowshoe bindings are built to accept almost any footwear, from hiking and snowboard boots to plastic mountaineering boots, so there isnt any need to buy special footwear. Some snowshoes are made for running and lace up snugly, while others are made for plastic boots and secure with ratcheting straps.

Rotating Bindings can pivot where they attach to the decking. This movement allows you to walk more naturally and makes it far easier to climb hills. The amount that bindings pivot varies among models. Some bindings can pivot 90 degrees or more, which allows the tails of the snowshoes to fall away as you step. This sheds snow and reduces fatigue. Rotation also positions your boots for kicking steps into steep slopes.
Fixed Bindings are connected with heavy rubber or neoprene bands and don’t provide as much pivot. These bindings bring the snowshoe tails up with each step and allows for a comfortable stride. It also makes stepping over obstacles and backing up easier.
There are benefits and drawbacks with either binding types. Fixed bindings can kick up snow on the backs of the legs and doesnt shed snow which causes more fatigue. Rotating bindings can be awkward when climbing over logs or backing up.

Although your weight provides some traction by pushing snowshoes down into the snow, most modern snowshoes feature some type of crampons or cleats. These allow you to maintain a good grip on packed, icy or steep snow.

Toe or Instep Crampons are located on the undersides of the bindings. They pivot with your feet and dig in as you climb.
Heel Crampons are placed on the bottom of the decking. They are usually in a V formation. This can fill with snow and slow you down as you descend. Not all snowshoes have heel traction. If yours doesnt, it will be necessary to dig in the toe crampons on the descent.
Traction Bars on the bottom of the decking provide lateral stability and reduce side slipping as you cross slopes.
Recreational-style snowshoes will usually have crampons only at the forefoot. Climbing or backcountry snowshoes will usually have more aggressive, toothed crampons at both the forefoot and the heel.

Your weight, including equipment, is referred to as the recommended load or carrying capacity. This is a major factor in determining the right size. In most circumstances, a heavier person or one with a heavily loaded pack will require larger snowshoes than a smaller person or one carrying gear just for the day.
Snow Conditions: The recommended load is usually based on light, dry snow conditions. You need larger snowshoes to stay afloat in Utah powder than you would in the wet snow of the Pacific Northwest. It is always best to get the smallest shoes that will support your weight for the snow conditions. As long as you have adequate flotation, smaller snowshoes will be much easier to handle.
Terrain: Packed trails, brush and forest call for smaller shoes, which are easier to maneuver in tight spaces. Steep or icy terrain is also easier with smaller snowshoes. An open area with deep drifts will require larger snowshoes.

Frederico

Well, I also invested in snow shoes for the first time this winter and I must say that I have enjoyed being able to walk off track from time to time - not too far though - for me thay have been a good buy.

Jade

Snowshoeing is more of a workout than cross-country skiing. It's fun, but you'll be huffing and puffing in no time: make sure you can handle that, it's like trying to jog in knee-deep snow for the work-out (in my humble opinion).

Jobiwan

Refrigerator, I have been asked by a few members of my hiking group about sizing snowshoes. I took the liberty of copy & pasting your above comment to the group page. I appreciate the time you took to get into such detail. Kudos, Sir.