Solar Charger for Classic Battery Chargers?

craig

I was wondering is there a solar charger powerful enough to supply standard appliances and other devices in the field, for example, battery chargers for AA or AAA batteries?

pastywhite

Grand Poobah
Sorta. They exist BUT only work correctly when you have them in direct sunlight for like 8 hours. You really only have a few hours per day of "good" charging (10:00 to 2:00) so in 2-3 days you can charge a set of batteries if you take a 4 hour lunch break each day.

Woods

It would be good if these solar chargers had a battery of their own and not just constant direct output. I bet these are pretty expensive.

pastywhite

Grand Poobah
It would be good if these solar chargers had a battery of their own and not just constant direct output. I bet these are pretty expensive.
These exist too. Same issue though - limited "optimal" charging time that requires long breaks during the day.

Survivo

These are pretty expensive and I wouldn't count on them that much because they are not really what you are looking for. Long charging hours in the sun and slow charging of your gear.

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
Whatever happened to the backpack weight shift charger? I read a while back (years?) about a guy that invented a charger that ran off a packs movement as you walked, to build up power. I'm not sure if it used a geared generator, or a spring loaded magnet inside a coil of wire or something. I'm guessing the weight would be worse than carrying one of those 6v lantern batteries, however. I like the new Trent battery packs... If you're charging your phone more than five or six times in a week, why are you even out in the woods?
I've got my old iPod nano (I won at a convention). It weighs maybe an ounce? I bet I could use it a LOT in the woods on a Trent pack