Spring break

Dannytoo

Well spring break has started for some? Just wondering if anyone is going camping and where you might be going? If you are traveling be safe we need you back here telling us about your trip.

chuckdee

Working :/

GA_gal

No spring break for me! =/ Still, I might manage to snag a weekend getaway here in the next few weeks and get some hiking, biking, or fishing in. :)

woodsman

Isn't spring break a students only thing? At least that was what I was led to believe since I finished collage. I think most of us will be enjoying spring weekends instead of spring breaks.

Cappy

We were down in Florida last weekend the week end before spring fling starts thank goodness. We left Datona just as 1000s of bikers were showing up. The hotels were looking forwards to a week long double and trippling of their rates for 50 m iles in any direction. In our world we had a ball, missed the big crowds and got off cheap.

Gondor

Ah, spring breaks... those were the days my friend. :) I'm still waiting for better weather to plan anything serious. I will update you all as soon as the schedule comes in. :)

ponderosa

Well my 5 year old has a week off from kindergarten, so we're taking advantage of her spring break to go to south and look for some warmer weather for a few days. We'll probably go camping and hiking in Zion National Park.

ponderosa

October is my very favorite time of year for Zion, but March/April are usually OK as well. March is the wettest month for that area, so I'm hoping for good weather. I've been there mid-March before with lovely sunny days in the 70s, and I've been there with snow and rain for a solid week. We're going the last week of the month.

Dannytoo

October is my very favorite time of year for Zion, but March/April are usually OK as well. March is the wettest month for that area, so I'm hoping for good weather. I've been there mid-March before with lovely sunny days in the 70s, and I've been there with snow and rain for a solid week. We're going the last week of the month.
Have a fun trip and a safe one.

Mudslide

We'll be hitching up the camper and going to Trackrock campground for a few days, then me and one of my kids will go backpacking for a couple of days.

Marshmallow

It's a work time for me. I'd rather wait until warmer weather before taking a break. As far as I'm concerned, it still seems like winter around here. Easter is early, and we're still shivering.

Grandpa

Grandma and I are both retired so spring break is for the crowds. We had our fun breakout in Feruary. Next breakout is Reno in mid-April for bowling. Then the outdoor fun begins.

Hikenhunter

Have a few projects around the house to finish up but I plan on doing some weekend backpacking before ther end of April. Hoping I can get the grand kids out for a couple overnighters but spring soccer and baseball are starting so it might be just old Copper and me.

Marshmallow

We had lunch today with some of our family. They've just gotten back from the Cayman Islands, are heading to the beach for Easter break. Then they are taking some of the college-aged grandchildren to San Francisco. I'm so envious.

tylert27

My family always tries to go to Island Park, located in Wyoming. We always rent out one of the many cabins at Island Park Lake and then go boating and jet skiing. We also usually have some cousins come along and we go ride motorcycles and four-wheelers along some of the many trails that spread throughout the park. This place is beautiful and if you haven't been there, I highly recommend that you go!

Grandpa

Didn't know of an Island Park in Wyoming. Just the one adjacent to Yellowstone in Idaho.
And hush,:tinysmile_twink_t2: Already too crowded.

Back in the late '70's, when the pine beetle infestation hit, the Targhee NF supervisor thumbed his nose at the environmentalists and started cutting trees as fast as they could. Loggers, firewooders, anybody could cut and stack their logs, tag them, spray them and when the larvae hatched and died, they moved them out and replanted the area. With the open areas, they laid out hiking trails, 4 wheeler trails, campgrounds and reforested around the improvements. With the Henry's Fork, Buffalo, and Warm rivers, and Henry Lake and Island Park reservoir, it is a RV'er or cabin renters paradise. Upper and Lower Mesa Falls, fly fishing, lake fishing, and all adjacent to Yellowstone NP.

By the late 80's the new growth was well established and today those lodgepole pines are nearly mature. In my opinion, it was managed the old fashioned way, the right way, for the best interests of everyone.