Starkey 1.9 mile Hiking loop 6/13/09

jason

fear no beer
So this morning we got up and left for Starkey Park again. This time we went for the short 1.9 mile hiking loop, not include the short hike there. You can view all the pictures here. I wanted to park at the horse corrals, but they had something going on down that road, so I parked in one of the parking lots and hiking over to the beginning of the trail. The trail is much wider then the nature paths. It looks like some park ATVs or trucks go down them regularly. About 99% of the trail is sand, with some really soft sand spots here and there. It was almost like walking on the beach. There were a few spots where it was rocky, but overall it was easy on the feet. I saw some birds along the way, but they are crafty. Every time I tried to get a picture they would hid in the brush. Sneaky little things.

I did get to see the old homestead they had. It was not really what I was expecting. They had an old well which I guess they covered up. It just looked like a dip in the ground. They had an old car that was all rusted. Part of some animal cages, and a log cabin. There was also a grave site and what they called a pasture for the animals. You can see the pictures in the album.

It was the chance to test out the new backpack/carrier. It worked out really good. It felt almost as light as the old one, even though I was carrying more. I got a few people asking me if I would carry them. I think she liked it more then the old one, with the exception of the cover. She also does not like the cover on her bike trailer. I think it blocks some of her views so she complains when it is on. I think the same might be happening in the carrier. The other thing I thought about is how to have it hold her cup. I usually carrier her cup in my pocket. However, I am thinking of typing some type of string to the cup and to the backpack so if she drops it it does not hit the ground. I will have to work that out.

Here she is taking her nap.

I heard some rumors of them expanding the park, and saw a lot of brush on the hiking path. Not sure if that is what they were doing

Over all it was a good trip. I was thinking next week I might try one of their longer hiking trails, however I think I might try some place new. I just need to find something fairly close until the weather cools down. I keep plenty of water with me, but I still worry some about the little one.

katharina

So this morning we got up and left for Starkey Park again. This time we went for the short 1.9 mile hiking loop, not include the short hike there.
Ah! Now 1.9 miles, that I could handle. :tinysmile_fatgrin_t The new carrier looks great and very comfortable... witnessed by a very happy looking baby while she sleeps!