Starting to feel like a redneck chick here!

Judy Ann

I'm used to seeing men with all their guns and knives, however I can't say that I have ever come across a lone woman and her dog loaded for bear! I went out for a long spring hike today with my usual pack and gear plus mace, straight blade, spare pocket knife, and big stick. Can't wait to get that multitool, but was wondering if a "power assist blade" could be considered a switchblade? I was also wondering if I would get in trouble if stopped by a cop for keeping my hunting knife in the glove box and the SOG multitool in the door of my car? Do women really carry all this stuff?

EyeOfThePark

Whether you're allowed to keep the knife in the glove box depends on the legislation of the state you live in. You seem to be equipped for a quest in the wilderness. Where are you heading, anyways?

oldsarge

Power assist is not a switch blade, you shouldn't have any issues. Just as long as there is no designated button to open or close the device. Don't confuse this with a locking mechanism on some knives that has to be operated before closing. I don't know what your local laws are but I would think that that by having a knife in your door panel might not be a good idea. If at anything at all it might be confiscated just because of it's accessibility. I live in Cook county Illinois and the laws here are really tight as far as that goes. I have a large three D cell Maglite along side my seat and I stand the chance of loosing it only because it can be used as a club. Laws are different everywhere, The best thing to do is go to your local police and ask.

JollyRogers

Most states frown on you having anything double edged or with a single edge longer than 3" easily accessible in your vehicle. Easily accessible meaning not locked in your trunk or glove box.

I had a bayonet knife confiscated in Illinois because it was under the seat. Now, given, I did have a back seat full of camping gear at the time which is why they probably didn't run me in.

But I had to go to the police station the next day to pick it up and lock it in the trunk to transport it home.

Grandpa

Judy, last year in the Uinta's, we ran in to a lady on a saddle horse with a pack mule, two dogs, a Winchester 94 on her saddle and a .500 S&W on her hip. (obvious from the cartridges in her belt) We had a good chat as she was quite knowledgeable about the area. She had been out six days and obviously intended to stay quite a while longer. She was also wise not to tell us of her intended destinations where she had no idea if we were honorable or not.

In the mountains, there is nothing wrong with feeling like a redneck chick. That's a negative wording, layed upon you by those who would control you.

I still wonder if the gun really was a .500 smith or if the cartridges in the belt were just there for show. That's a lot of pistol for me or her to be hanging on to.

Last edited:

Judy Ann

Thank you everyone for your input on ways to be better prepared on solo hiking/camping trips for uninvited "guests." I appreciated the advice on not leaving some of the items in the car in urban areas. I had thought that it would not be wise.

I had to laugh yesterday as I practiced swinging up the mace and lifting the cap until I could do it without looking. As for the S&W, too much pack weight for me Grandpa! Annie Oakley was my hero as a child.

Benny

I don't think it strange at all for a woman to be prepared for anything... No-one should go out into the wilderness without some type of protection....

OutdoorsGirl

I am fairly prepared as well, I don't pack a gun, but we have rules against guns here, you need to have them registered and the like and I don't have a FAC card so I am not allowed to possess one.

Judy Ann

We can't carry firearms in NC either without a permit unless in plain view and not in the parks. To be honest, I spend my working hours saving lives, so it wouldn't make sense for me to load a pistol with a hollow point and hope to do some serious damage. The feedback here has helped me to become a little wiser, better prepared and less prone to venture off by myself (unless it can't be avoided). I am glad that there are other women out there who enjoy the road/path less traveled. Thanks for the feedback!

dinosaur

troublemaker
Judy, you might be a redneck. But a redneck is just someone who is outdoors a lot and doesn't pay attention to the sun. Your neck gets a tad burned and turns red. You're a redneck. You're not stupid or inbred. You just have a sunburn. But your neck is still red.

Do you know the only thing dumber than a redneck? Everyone else.

It's a matter of where you are, not who you are. If you are in an airport with knives bristling off you in a display of cumulative cutlery, you are a threat and, quite possibly, a terrorist. On the other hand, if you are in the middle of the woods and I just shot a deer, you are a dream come true. And we will eat really good tonight.

freedommachine

I think a can of bear pepper spray, or regular pepper spray is the best defense.If you carry a gun and you use it in the wrong situation you could wind up in just as much trouble if not more than the unwanted person. Pepper spray is very affective and nonleathal. I own several guns but 90% of the time I am better off with pepper spray. If somone was to defend themselfs with a gun in a campground with other people around you take the chance of hurting or killing somone on accident.Peppeer spray is a better option for a close quarters defense if other people are around. Plus pepper spray will not draw blood like a knife or gun.If the person has aids that could be very scary if you were to get the blood on you. Knife is a must. A billion uses for one.Multi tool about a trillion uses.

Sophia

Just curious, what is the difference between "bear" pepper spray and regular pepper spray? Is it stronger? Or is it weaker, just to scare the bear?

oldsarge

I thought it was just the larger container and propellant that made it reach out more. I say we find someone to test it on and see if it works the same.

freedommachine

Bear spary is EPA rated,meaning it will not hurt the enviroment. Bear spray is legal just about everywhere. While regular defense pepper spray is regulated in the different states.Like some states your defense pepperspray is limited in size while bear spray is not. Bear spray has a larger spray,it is usally a fogger type spray for up to 30 feet,while regular defense pepper spray is no where close to that normally. Plus bearspary is stronger. You might get into legal trouble if you used it on a human, but if you are a lone woman and felt threatened you gotta do what you gotta do. If the stuff can stop a bears attack imagine what it would do to some creepy dude out in the forest.

Gus

Tent Camper
OK Oldsarge, - I'll volunteer to test the bear spray. It can't be worse than some of the "tent gas" I've had to endure on group camp-outs. But you have to buy the beer.

oldsarge

Maybe it's all that beer that's polluting your tent. Next time you're on a group camp out. The first one to float a stink biscuit in the tent gets the bear spray!