Staying Hydrated

hiking_and_biking

When you hike, how much water do you bring with you? Do you have a formula like X amount of water per hour/mile, or do you just bring a set amount, like a quart or a liter?

Grandpa

You have to know where your water sources are or else bring enough for the entire hike. They recommend a liter an hour with a full backpack but I'm okay with a liter every hour and a half. On every backpacking trip I have a 4 liter capacity but on known dry trips I add up to 8 more liters of capacity. Any needs more than that, I stay out of such as The Maze in Canyonlands NP. The Northern Rockies where I predominately hike have enough water sources that I seldom carry more than a liter, which I top of with a filter every chance I get.

Last edited:

calanta

We ran out once and it was not a fun hike back to the car to get the extras that we left behind. The only thing worse than running out for good is then having to hike back while drenched in your own sweat because your silly head is all "Oh we don't need all that"...never again!

Lamebeaver

It's not how much you bring that matters, it's how much you drink. The saying is "drink until you pee clear". This indicates you're properly hydrated.

state_camper

It's not how much you bring that matters, it's how much you drink.
I got such a kick out this when I read it, because you can't drink enough if don't bring enough! ROFL

Seriously though, Lamebeaver is right - you should be drinking enough water such that your pee is clear or near-clear.

As for us, we've found that anything in excess of a gallon is heavy enough to affect our stamina, so we limit it to one gallon and plan our hikes around that, limiting them to no more than 4 hours, unless we've got a refill point somewhere along the hike.

oldsarge

I have a bad habit of not drinking enough water. I know better, but just don't seem to do it. I've been out for 10 or 12 hours hiking in the summer months and maybe polish off 2 quarts. I'm not talking 90º heat, but pleasant days when hiking is comfortable. It doesn't seem to bother me. Once I get home I'll kick back and drink a few glasses, but that's about it. The wife is always getting on me about it.

Grandpa

I have a bad habit of not drinking enough water. I know better, but just don't seem to do it. I've been out for 10 or 12 hours hiking in the summer months and maybe polish off 2 quarts. I'm not talking 90º heat, but pleasant days when hiking is comfortable. It doesn't seem to bother me. Once I get home I'll kick back and drink a few glasses, but that's about it. The wife is always getting on me about it.
Same here Sarge. Thats why I chucked the camelbak and went back to the bottle so I can monitor my intake. Get dehydrated in the Rockies and it can be a long, cold night.

dinosaur

troublemaker
There are always ways to find water. Never go anywhere without it. If you lose your supply, find ways to get it. Overcome those around you and procure your needs.

Overcome and adapt. Overcome and adapt. Overcome and adapt. Oops, I'm sorry! Did I become fixated on a singular path?

Sarge, am I wrong here?

catspa

Come on over and I'll give you some. Save you the effort of overpowering me, and I won't have to kill you in your sleep.

Parker, just onshore from the biggest distillery in the entire world...

2Tired4

There are always ways to find water. Never go anywhere without it. If you lose your supply, find ways to get it. Overcome those around you and procure your needs.

Overcome and adapt. Overcome and adapt. Overcome and adapt. Oops, I'm sorry! Did I become fixated on a singular path?

Sarge, am I wrong here?
I cannot agree more on this. Make sure you know where and how to get water. Know and have the ways of making it drinkable. And carry your own water.

Malarkey

It depends on where you are going and how much water is there, because procuring water can sometimes be slow, hard and even detrimental to your mood. So, make sure you carry plenty.

oldsarge

Same here Sarge. Thats why I chucked the camelbak and went back to the bottle so I can monitor my intake. Get dehydrated in the Rockies and it can be a long, cold night.
Funny thing is I carry two 2 liter bottles in my pack and also have the Camelbak. Since I got the Camelbak I tend to drink it a little more but still not near as much as I should.

oldsarge

Sarge, am I wrong here?
Absolutely not!

Survivo

Sometimes I would carry Nalgene 32 oz wide-mouth, and a few 96 oz Cantens, since they weigh nothing and are flexible. I think the heaviest load of water I had to carry was 30lbs because I knew the water would be hard to find where I was going.

ChadTower

I don't think I have ever hiked a place where water is hard to find. Most of my hiking the last few years is in NH. There's water everywhere and most of it in the White Mtns is fast and right near the source. No treatment necessary so long as you make sure there's nothing dead upstream. It is brain damage cold, though.

Grandpa

I know I'm not going to pack 20 lbs of water or even 4 lbs while following a clear stream up a canyon, especially when I have to cross that stream several times.

KeikoOka

I carry water with me, but not that much. The places I hike tend to have plenty of easy and clean ways to get water. Of course, if the water is unsafe then carrying it becomes the best way to stay hydrated.

ppine

Forester
In place like Big Bend, in the Sonoran and Chichuan Desert, it is very dry, but water sources exist. The smart way to travel in that country, is to go in winter, and travel from one water source to another. If you can't find a water source, you backtrack to the last known one and try another route. Carrying 30 pounds of water sounds highly impractical even in the worst desert.