Strange Occurrences?

Gondor

Are there things you've seen through your outdoors wondering that you just can't explain logically? I'm not talking about scary stories per se but anything you can think off.

ppine

Forester
I have seen some strange meteor type sightings in crystal clear Nevada night skies at 8,500 feet with streaks of yellow and green light near the horizon.

I have worked around Nellis AFB and Area 51 in southern Nevada where the nightime jet sorties do some strange things with flares and chaff. It is easy to see how they can be mistaken for UFOs. We were once camped near Queen's Gate by the Nellis Test Range. About 0300 2 F16s broke the sound barrier right on top us. I went from sound asleep to wide awake in about 3 seconds.

I love the northerns lights and have seen them from the North Cascades, BC, the Yukon and northern Alaska.

My Dad once got spooked by large tracks going straight up a hillside on a hunting trip. He was coming back to camp in the dark by himself and his imagination from his childhood days in WA got the best of him. It is the only time in my life my Dad every showed any fear.

Last edited:

oldsarge

When stationed in southern California, I too remember seeing strange colors in the sky from missile tests that were going on. I loved seeing this stuff because all the UFO nuts had an answer for it. Sometimes the exhaust from the engines would leave a really colorful vapor trail.

ppine, I would have loved to work around area 51!

SunnyDay

When I was a kid I was convinced I saw a monster in the lake near our campsite. Turns out it was just a beaver but I swear even thinking back on it it really looked like a monster.

sailorman

My dad claimed he saw a black panther, and of course we all thought he was nuts. It was not long after that we found out there was a black panther loose here. No one has seen it in 4 months though, so maybe it has moved on.

Pathfinder1

When I was a kid I was convinced I saw a monster in the lake near our campsite. Turns out it was just a beaver but I swear even thinking back on it it really looked like a monster.

Hi...

I guess beavers can fool some people. I once saw a video of what "definitely" depicted Champ, the famous Lake Champlain monster.

Anyone with any familiarity with beavers, though, could have identified it as a beaver. Sometimes people believe only what they want to believe.

ejdixon

I was talking to the host of this campground where my family was planning to stay since we were a bit lost that time. In the middle of the conversation, I heard a loud static noise coming from my cellphone like you'll get from the radios back in the day. Figured that it was some signal interference with a radio station nearby or something. Still found it a bit odd though since it was the first time I ever experienced it.

Miley

I can not think of anything strange that has happened to me. I have heard about strange lights out West, I think they are called prairie lights. Does anybody have any info on that?

Chief

Labeck
here is one event that happened to me in march of 2010.
It was a beautiful day as I hiked from upper jakes creek campsite to the upper Henderson campsite in the smokies. Even though I took my time to enjoy the hike I arrived at camp early, I first had to damn up the little stream to get enough water flowing. Then I picked the upper flat area to pitch my tent, after all my camp chores, I had plenty of time to gather some fire wood, filter my water and cook myself a hardy meal.
I stayed up a little later than I usually do, just enjoying the campfire and the hooting of the owls and the occasional howling of coyotes off in the distance.
I retired to bed around 2200hrs and quickly dozed off. I am a pretty light sleeper and every now and then I would awaken to the sound of small rodents scampering thru the dry leaves.
Around 2400hrs I was startled awake by a load rustling of the leaves which made me sit up in my sleeping bag, it sounded like a dog running within a foot of my tent and about 20 feet beyond. At 1st I thought it might be one of those coyotes. Then to the south about 20 feet in a low male country sounding dialect I hear this “come her boy” then again “come her boy”.
I quietly listened for any rustling of the leaves or any movement of any kind and there was none. I got out of the tent and looked around. I found nothing in the area.
Did I imagine this, was I still a sleep. I don’t think so.
I have solo backpacked for years & this is the 1st. time something like this has happened.
What did I do next? I said what the heck and went back for a great night sleep.
BTW, I was approximately ½ mile from a mountain top 100 year old cemetery

TroyS

Took my family camping a few months ago, and my son was so insistent that he wanted to leave the place the next day. At first, my wife and I thought he was just having one of these moods. But I noticed that he never acted that same way when we went camping in other places. Asked him about it, but he still wouldn't tell us.

Grandpa

I'm getting good at copying and pasting old posts. Some topics just keep coming back because of good interest in them. Anyway......

When in those high 12,000 ft basins in the High Uinta Wilderness, the planes flying over make a big racket. Even the little planes are very noisy. One night, or morning, a 2:00 am nature call had me standing out in the night when I saw a very bright light on the ridge. My first thought was somebody had snuck a 4 wheeler into the wilderness but then I realized it was flying. My next thought was a high plane still had his landing lights on but as it passed overhead, the light remained bright, so it was not a directional light such as a headlight or landing light. I could not make out any shape of a craft or anything. As the light moved further away it remained very bright and then, when about over the Vernal Basin where the towns are, it suddenly went out. About that time I realized that whatever it was had made no noise whatsoever. Definately a UFO (it may be identified by someone else but not me) but one of ours or theirs? Who knows?

Judy Ann

It was a hot, humid night by Lake James last summer. The owls were hooting and bats were chasing the objects of their desire. Fireflies were abundant around my campsite and the moon was just beyond sight. The air was so still and the humidity so thick that you could cut it with a knife. Out of nowhere a breeze started moving the trees around my campsite. Leaves were reflected in the firelight clapping as some do. Limbs were gently swaying and dancing in the breeze. I noticed that the wind was not moving anything beyond my campsite which was built upon the site of an old homestead.

Ancient spirits or dead husband trying to reach across the boundaries? I don't know for sure, but I had a nice chat with the dearly departed for quite a while and slept like a baby that night. I'm not one to discount anything.

Grandpa

Ancient spirits or dead husband trying to reach across the boundaries? I don't know for sure, but I had a nice chat with the dearly departed for quite a while and slept like a baby that night. I'm not one to discount anything.
That is wonderful Judy Ann. This I will not discount. Grandma's family has several very strange incidents like this, even down to my grandkids. But the stories are better left to campfire tales than here.

Judy Ann

I guess that I should have mentioned that my conversation was not out loud and that I didn't hear any replies!

Last edited:

dinosaur

troublemaker
When stationed in southern California, I too remember seeing strange colors in the sky.........
I've seen a lot of strange and inexplicable things in my life; lights in the night sky, cold spots in the woods, vaporous shapes moving in the dark, and animals exhibiting odd behaviour.

But Southern California, I agree, is the topper. The sky is always a weird color and I've seen some people walking down the street I can't explain to this day.

oldsarge

But Southern California, I agree, is the topper. The sky is always a weird color and I've seen some people walking down the street I can't explain to this day.
A young man with a wild and multi-coloured hairstyle sits next to an old man on a park bench. The old man stares at the young man.

"What's the matter, old man?" says the young man. "Never done anything crazy in your life?"

The old man replies: "Yeah. When I was in the Navy, I got really drunk one night and had sex with a parrot. I thought you might be my son."

jb_simerly

hunting

me and my cousin were walking in to our tree stand on a clear morning when we stopped to take a breather and i was looking at the stars and noticed that there were a star setting right in the middle of the little dipper when out of the blue it started moving slowly across the sky

Theosus

Backpacking Noob
I had a really wierd experience with a youth group on a hike in a nature reserve.

We parked in the lot, the only car there, hiked the mile and a half in, scrambled up the hillside to an exposed section of rock (14 acres of it!) and settled in to eat our food. During the middle of eating, this guy walks out of the woods on the far side of the entrance/exit trail. He's around forty, wearing penny loafers, dress slacks and a button-up shirt. Like he was teleported from a boardroom. Not a dirt stain or wrinkle or anything. It's about 90 degrees, we're sweaty in shorts and t shirts, and he's not. He walks out onto the rock, looks around for a bit, and wanders back into the trees. If Bigfoot came out and asked me for my skittles it would have been less odd.

Last edited:

oldsarge

I had a really wierd experience with a youth group on a hike in a nature reserve.

We parked in the lot, the only car there, hiked the mile and a half in, scrambled up the hillside to an exposed section of rock (14 acres of it!) and settled in to eat our food. During the middle of eating, this guy walks out of the woods on the far side of the entrance/exit trail. He's around forty, wearing penny loafers, dress slacks and a button-up shirt. Like he was teleported from a boardroom. Not a dirt stain or wrinkle or anything. It's about 90 degrees, we're sweaty in shorts and t shirts, and he's not. He walks out onto the rock, looks around for a bit, and wanders back into the trees. If Bigfoot came out and asked me for my skittles it would have been less odd.
That is weird!