sun glasses /shades

carmen

We actually did some yard work this weekend and it got me to thinking about the glasses we wear when we are out camping and hiking. Most times I will just opt for something normal. This weekend we headed out and needed some eye protection (cutting down some branches from the trees, weeding and so on). We found a good pair of about $15.00 glasses at Home Depot, not bad for normal safety wear but they were quite shaded too. That makes me wonder about how well we are protecting our eyes when we are outdoors doing all the fun stuff. What is everyone wearing and how much did it cost?

RingTwist

I don't wear any sunglasses at the moment because I switched back to glasses instead of contacts. I really do need to get some prescription sunglasses though, to protect my eyes better.

Pathfinder1

Hi...

Sunshine and its rays are can be very injurious to the eyes. I doubt that most people...even if they are wearing 'sunglasses'...are wearing ones providing the best protection. Your eye Doctor should be consulted as to the proper types that should be worn.

When out of doors in sunlight, I always wear proper sunglasses, and a wide brimmed hat or sunshade. When it comes to your eyes, you just can't be too careful.

ppine

Forester
Living at 5000 feet and spending a lot of time in the higher mountains and on the water, makes eye protection important. Skiing in winter on sunny days is also challenging. I have been wearing brimmed hats (western hats) since the 1970s and decent sunglasses. My Mom is German with blue eyes but never wore hats or sunglasses much even when we "went to the boat." There was no air conditioning then and we were on boats every weekend. She now suffers from macular degeneration partly as a result.

Pathfinder1

Living at 5000 feet and spending a lot of time in the higher mountains and on the water, makes eye protection important. Skiing in winter on sunny days is also challenging. I have been wearing brimmed hats (western hats) since the 1970s and decent sunglasses. My Mom is German with blue eyes but never wore hats or sunglasses much even when we "went to the boat." There was no air conditioning then and we were on boats every weekend. She now suffers from macular degeneration partly as a result.

Hi...

Sorry to hear about her experience, ppine.

wvbreamfisherman

I just wear my prescription (glass) glasses, they are progressive lenses and they meet ansi Z87 specs for safety lenses and frames. They are photogray and give a high degree of UV protection.

I also wear a hat with a brim (got tired of getting my ears sunburned LOL).

bsmit212

I have a pair of Native Sunglasses. I love them. They have switchable lenses, although never use that feature haha, so you can use in different lighting situations. The lenses that I always use have a high leve of protection though. The only time that I do not wear them is when whitewater kayking. I don't like to wear glasses then because they just fog up after the first splash of cold water to the face and make it hard to see. I have heard good glasses don't do this, but I have lost to many cheap glasses in my early paddling years I dont want to lose an expensive pair

Hikenhunter

I have photogray lenses in my prescription glasses. The nice thing about them is that when I am exposed to the sun they darken realative to the brightness of the area I am in, so when out of the sun they get lighter. When I wore contacts I used to carry two pr. of sunglasses so I could change them with the brightness of the area I was in.

Yab9

I have my regular glasses on all the time (can't see a thing without them) and for sunny weather I have prescription sunglasses. It's quite a pain changing them whenever the sun gets into my eyes but really it's better than squinting your eyes all the time.

Last edited:

shaun

When doing jobs in my back yard I wear plastic goggles to protect the eyes. I once see a show about a man who lost his sight due to a branch flying into his eye whilst chopping a tree. Ever since then I have worn goggles.

3ofusnow

When I am wearing my glasses I have a pair of prescription sunglasses to wear. If I have my contacts in I just wear some cheap sunglasses, but they are supposed to have UV protection on them.

wvbreamfisherman

Cheap sunglasses reminds me of that ZZTop tune. I went to a ZZTop concert once, and the "Cheap Sunglasses" they had for sale outside cost something like $24.95.

carmen

That is not the cheapest I have seen but pretty close! I have a pair of prescription glasses that I use only for driving, years ago it was "only for reading" now its so I can read the signs. :tinysmile_hmm_t:

I am thinking about getting a pair of prescription sun glasses and I know my husband (being blue eyed) has more issues with the sunny days than I do (brown eyed). I might need to check with the doctor about it.

RingTwist

When I wore contacts, I frequently wore cheap sunglasses (they usually cost around $10) because I tend to lose and/or scratch mine up pretty easily.

Esperahol

I don't wear sunglasses because I spend a lot of time either undercover or in subterranian darkness. However, when climbing I have to wear something because all it takes is one good flash to the eyes... I'd rather not die thanks to something preventable.

ppine

Forester
Last spring I was adding water to the boat batteries in an awkward position and splashed some water into my eyes from the batteries. That got my attention, and I now wear goggles for that task even though it seems geeky. I quickly rinsed them out with clean water on hand, but it was still scary.

If you run an edger or trimmer doing yard work it is a question of time before something flies at your eyes. At least wear sunglasses for that type of task too.