Swimming still

JimBob

I live in Florida and though it's not cold, the water is cold here. There were probably 15 kids in our community pool today and people still swimming at the beach. I must be a wimp, because it is too cold for me. I do remember when I had no fear though as a child and would swim in very cold water back then.

jason

fear no beer
I remember my first year visiting Florida from New York. I thought my fathers friend was crazy. We stopped in Georgia with about a foot of snow on the ground, he goes and changes into shorts and a short sleeve shirt. Next stop was where we were staying in Florida. I understood why he changed. I even spent some time in the pool.

But I've since gotten used to being hot 2/3rds of the year. I've been tempted to jump in the pool a few times, however the water is just too cold. Not to say I would not be out in the kayak, wadding around if there was not rain off the coast right now. Water is never too cold to fish here.

hippieP

Wow! I remember years of being up north and on thanksgiving our in-ground pool was frozen solid. I am talking my sister standing in the middle of it within a blink of fear in her eye.

CampingFamily

I'm with you JimBob, we live in Florida too and I just don't go swimming in the winter time! Now there may be an occasion if it is a heated pool and it happens to be warm outside I might. But, not the beaches!

FreeWilly

What about hot tubs then? I know folks in the winter time up north will go in their hot tubs in the middle of winter with 2 feet of snow on the ground. The only problem I'd have with that is when you get out of the heat and have that air hit me.

Grandpa

Actually, the hot water seems to open the near surface blood capillary's and you really don't feel like it is as cold as it is.

CAUTION: When exiting an outdoor hot tub in really cold weather, especially in a mixed group, don't bump into something metal and have your trunks freeze to the metal and get pulled right off you.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

jason

fear no beer
Actually, the hot water seems to open the near surface blood capillary's and you really don't feel like it is as cold as it is.

CAUTION: When exiting an outdoor hot tub in really cold weather, especially in a mixed group, don't bump into something metal and have your trunks freeze to the metal and get pulled right off you.:tinysmile_fatgrin_t

Is that from personal experience?

Thanks for the laugh, Grandpa. I can not stand, even slightly chilly water, so there is no way I would swim at this time of year. Maybe, some people are use to cold water, so it does not bother them.

ejdixon

I read that alternating being in hot water and then cold water can be good for circulation. Tried it once, and the only thing I got was a really bad cold.

hippieP

Unless it is a dare and serious money is involved I would opt out. You would have to be breaking out the big bills in order to get me in a chilly water area, or sneak up to kidnap and blindfold me to toss me in.