Take the pooch, or leave it home?

hikinboot

I think my guy needs a new pack, what type do you use for you pooch? Mine is getting small for him, he has grown since I bought it.

Grandpa

I have an older Kelty, xl and it is slightly big for my 112 lb black lab. It has worked well for several years, despite many sudden "washings". I'm sure there are better models as well as worse models. Grandma bought this one for his 3rd birthday, so I've never had to shop for one.

hikinboot

Ok, My guy is a husky and he is well over 100 lbs. I am going to have to ask the sporting goods store and see what they have.

oldsarge

Why have a dog if you just lock it up every time you leave for camping or hiking. They are great companions and deserve the fun of being in the woods. I have two new puppies, as soon as they are trained up and more obedient, they will have a place with me when I'm out.

Grandpa

My old lab is getting somewhat arthritic but when I pulled his pack to see if it had a model # for the above post, he went ballistic with joy. He was dancing around like a puppy. He was really upset with me when I put it back on the shelf.

Sarah

Dogs are absolutely the best friend to have with you, camping or not. I think it depends on the type of dog you have and the amount of patience you have. We have a beagle and he loves getting out into nature, but we have to watch him very closely. He's a smart dog and finds ways to wrangle out of his collar or leash to go explore.

dinosaur

troublemaker
I always take the pooch. My current animal is a grey wolf named Chewbacca. I camp in some pretty remote places so we watch out for eachother. We don't run into any barking dogs but when the coyotes start howling, Chewy will let loose with one of those bloodcurdling howls and the coyotes head for the next county. It always makes me smile.

hikinboot

@ Grandpa, my folks have an old husky and he is the same way, a bit arthritic, but mention a walk, or a ride in the car and he is like a pup.

@ dinosaur, I would love to have a wolf, I don't think we have any here anymore but I think my folk's pup is part wolf, she looks like a half breed husky/wolf.