Taking frozen meat?

outdoorsy

When you go camping, do you take frozen meat and then let it thaw out there? We always take fresh meat that is ready to be grilled. We use a cooler with a lot of ice to keep it cold and fresh.

campclose

We are like you and we take everything ready to be thrown onto the grill. I know some people that also take frozen meat, they say it stays fresher longer. I don't agree.

enzo

Of course! We always take some frozen meat and other foods that needs to be frozen (like cheese sticks, butter, etc.) while camping as long as we have enough ice packed in our cooler to keep them fresh and freezing.

Flannelshirt

When we take meat we bring along a lot of ice. If we plan on staying for a long time, we'll get some dry ice which keeps things really nice and cold.

carolyn

I have never tried taking frozen meat before. I worry about it getting it thawed before you want to use it. I wouldn't want it sitting in the sun all day to thaw or anything.

Outdooruser

I do take frozen meat. I keep all my meat in a separate cooler so the meat juices don't get all over the other food. When I need to take something out for dinner, I put it in its own container to thaw in.

campclose

It looks like we are in the minority here. I really like to make sure my meat is marinating in the sauces that it will be cooked in. That is why we don't take frozen meat, I don't think it marinates as well.

2coastcamper

I usually carry two frozen game hens (one for me, one for my wife). By the end of the first night, they're usually just perfect to go over the fire. Sometimes they're still a little "solid", but they cook up nicely. Just have to make sure that as they thaw, they're not going to drip juices on anything. Keeping them in their original wrapper plus in a zip-lock baggie is usually good enough.