Taking Milk Camping

hummingbird

I think I mentioned in another thread that I don't like to take milk products camping because it scares me it might go bad and give the kids food poisoning. The kids love their milk though and I hate not to take it. They would rather have milk with their food than to have soda. Is there a way to take it to ensure it won't go bad? I know I sound paranoid about it but I got food poisoning from a milk product once and I've never been able to get it out of my head. Any suggestions?

HikerChick

Have you considered bringing canned or boxed milk? It can be stored at room temperature for a very long time - so as long as you don't let it get hot it should be fine. Then you can chill it just before using it?

Newanderthal

I pre mix milk powder and strawberry powder and keep it in a small ziploc bag. There's nothing like a 20 oz. bottle of strawberry milk to wash down supper.

If you go car camping, bring milk in a cooler with plenty of ice. If you're backpacking, pour milk in a 1 liter bottle and freeze it. If you store it at the bottom of your pack where it's well insulated, it will keep until your second day. (longer depending on temps). If you're going to drink it all on the first day, freeze half a bottle, and then top it off before you leave.

Also, SMELL IT. If it smells funny, don't risk it.

campernewbie

I think milk powder might be the only way to go here and honestly I never thought about it too much until I went with a friend of mine and her toddler came along. We sat around trying to figure out what would be best, and if you can really tell the difference drinking the milk powder if you are a kid or an adult.