Talking To Yourself

HikerJoe

I go backpacking alone most of the time because I have so many friends it would be impossible to bring them all. Do you ever talk to yourself in camp at night or any other time during a solo trip?

Grandpa

No, I'm a terrible conversationalist with a very narrow view. This causes me to argue with myself so I avoid it. But I do talk to the trees and the flowers. They tell me all sorts of interesting things. Sometimes, I have great chats with a passing Sasquatch and I always enjoy it when the aliens drop in for a visit. They are so enlightening.:tinysmile_twink_t2:

cabinfever

Heck, I'm always talking out loud to myself, not just when camping or hiking. About the only time I don't is if I'm hunting, because I don't want to scare off the game. I yell at the TV, too.

Cappy

I never talk to m y self, but always have a running conversation in my head with God and my father grandfather and great grand father, They are with me always and I knew them well enough to know how they would answer questions I pose to them. Some times we have a discussion of how to go about something and I hear them in my head offering different approaches and openions, Weird I guess but it has got me out of several binds, and God and my ansestors are all the company I need. Of course Peggy is better in the bag than they are. :p

ChadTower

Yes, in a lot of places I go, talking to oneself is necessary. It's the only way to remember that you need to be heard to avoid surprising a bear. The only time it gets tricky is when going up a steep incline. As I get older it's harder to keep talking and breathing at the same time at that moment. :)

wvbreamfisherman

I talk to myself a lot. Not just in the field, but pretty much everywhere. (Excpet in places that it would get you put away....there, I talk to HARVEY (He's a pooka, you know...)). Let me give you one of my cards...

Michael

I talk to myself all the time.

When I'm driving, I talk smack about the other drivers. Especially if I'm anywhere near a rotary, since no one uses the things right.

I talk to myself when I'm doing something with several steps. I go through the steps out loud as I work through them. It helps me to be sure that I've done everything.

And of course, sometimes I make sarcastic comments to myself. Sometimes I make such comments about people I'm talking to them, while I'm talking to them. For some reason no one's ever punched my face for this, although I couldn't tell you why not.

dinosaur

troublemaker
Everyone talks to themselves. Some vocalize, some don't. Those who carry on a lively conversation have a mental disorder.

I don't generally talk to myself out loud but I will if I'm around my horse. She seems to like it when I talk to her and it is always advisable when you're walking up behind a horse so they know where you are.

IHeartDirt

I have often repeated prayers, poetry and sang devotional songs during my hikes and treks. Now that I am starting to hike again, this time with a baby who is ALWAYS with me, I find that my old habits not only help calm him down when he's getting antsy but also helps build my endurance.

ppine

Forester
Cappy in his rural wisdom has turned a humorous thread into something meaningful and important. Thank-you.

I hear my Dad and grandfathers talking to me all the time. They knew some stuff. The old ways are the best ways.

CaverGroupie

This is such a great crowd! Thanks for cheering me up this morning.
And for the record, yes, I'm pretty much constantly talking. Here in the house I pretend it's to the dog. As soon as i get her trained for backpacking, I'll be "talking" to her on the trail.
I also really love the idea that talking is necessary to scare off wildlife!